Skip to main content

Sometimes when I go to play an album through Sonos from my Apple music library I find that the odd track is “greyed out” and is skipped when playing the album. Here is an example:

Track 6 from this album is missing when viewed from Sonos. However if I go to the same album in iTunes, or the native Music app on my iPhone or iPad, the track is present and plays normally. It is only missing when viewed from Sonos. This particular album is in my library by virtue of iTunes Match, and I can’t see anything different about this track. All tracks show up in iTunes as “Matched” and I can’t see anything unusual about track 6.

I am aware that Apple sometimes block individual tracks so that they cannot be played from Apple Music, but this does not appear to be one of those cases. It is fine in Apple Music.

Hi @m1maj, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community, and thanks for letting us know your concern here. Let me help you with this.

A Sonos music library has a 65,000 track limit. The limit can be reached by either track count, or by memory usage. 

If songs are not showing up or unable to play it but the tracks are showing up in iTunes, you will need to update the music library index.

Some purchased music may be protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). This prevents these files from being shared via third-party apps like the Sonos app. This issue most commonly affects music purchased from iTunes before they switched to DRM-free music. If you still have some tracks that are DRM protected and unplayable on Sonos, iTunes Match allows you to upgrade your music to a DRM-free version. More information on iTunes Match and instructions on upgrading to DRM-free can be found on Apple’s website.

A music file’s metadata specifies organizational labels like the title, artist name, album name, and more. Sonos categorizes your music files based on how they’re tagged in the metadata. Most of the file formats supported by Sonos support metadata, but AIFF and WAV do not have full metadata support.

After checking the steps above and you're still having the same issue, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and remotely access your device and to provide the best option for you.

Let me know if you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.