Skip to main content

App Update 80.05.04

Alright, July 22 app update just dropped.

I took the risk of updating so you don’t have to 🙃🤣 So far so good, it opened on first try. Will update.

Is it working for you?

Samsung Android users are you back to a working app?

iOS release notes 

• Added setup, configuration, and search for local Music Library
  • Improved account settings for Sonos Pro subscribers
  • Added line-in autoplay and compression settings
  • Improved accessibility in Settings
  • Improved notification for player firmware updates
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp

ETA THE GOOD :

• local library search is working
  • Configuration and set up for local libraries is there but I’m not testing it as it’s working for me and I don’t want to tempt fate
  • Line in auto play seems to be working.
  • Sub audio has phase control and crossover frequency. I haven’t tested if they actually do anything but hopefully working as expected.

***Loading way quicker on my network, ~2.5 seconds after a force close for Recently played, sonos favourites etc to populate. (10 sonos devices).

Last used room controls at the bottom are available right away, ie can stop whats playing in a hurry if required. I think this is a good change.

Release notes not updated yet but will be posted here whenever they get around to it.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Moderator edit: typo in title changed

This update seems like a definite step in the right direction

It pretty much “finds” my system instantly, feels more responsive and volume changes happen in real time so no more “press wait press”.

Still a lot missing but it feels like they might have got the base code right at last.

I found that I had to go to the Apple App store to get the updated one. Trying to update in the app just kept telling me sytem was up to date. 🤔

The system update function within the app is for updating your speakers’ firmware, not for updating the app itself. 

I found that I had to go to the Apple App store to get the updated one. Trying to update in the app just kept telling me sytem was up to date. 🤔

Updating in the app checks for firmware updates for your speakers. There wasn’t a firmware update. Apple App Store has the update for the app. 

Updating in the app checks for firmware updates for your speakers. There wasn’t a firmware update. Apple App Store has the update for the app. 

Yes that’s all very well but when I searched Sonos in the App Store it showed me the “Open” button rather than “Get”.  Clicking that it opened the app with the old app version. I had to delete it and then got the Cloud with down arrow and clicking that it downloaded the latest version. Some mis-communication between app versions going in there.

oddly after I got the right app on my iPad as above the app on my iPhone then updated on its own.

Last night I just assumed this was global servers populating taking time but it was still like that this morning.

anyway all sorted to new app version.

Anyone notice excessive background battery drain?

I didn’t really notice faster drain as I charged through the day but Sonos used 36% in the background most of any app by far. 

Similar to feedback here

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/3nTfvMNeqP

I didn’t really notice faster drain as I charged through the day but Sonos used 36% in the background most of any app by far. 

Similar to feedback here

Didn’t notice but Sonos is at 30% of my battery usage, second only to Safari on 35% - but I actually specifically use Safari, whereas once I have selected a track I don’t ‘use’ Sonos, and nor should Sonos use itself as it is only the controller (the speakers call the next tracks from the streaming service)...

Similar to feedback here

Didn’t notice but Sonos is at 30% of my battery usage, second only to Safari on 35% - but I actually specifically use Safari, whereas once I have selected a track I don’t ‘use’ Sonos, and nor should Sonos use itself as it is only the controller (the speakers call the next tracks from the streaming service)...

Yeah for me I had 18 min on screen with Sonos app.  36% is a lot of background usage. 

Similar to feedback here

Mine is at 8% for Sonos on Android so not in the same ballpark as the 2 of you.

My battery setting for the Sonos App is “optimised”. I did not know this setting existed so it must have been set by Sonos or is a default for my Sony. Alternative settings for this are restricted and unrestricted.

Similar to feedback here

Mine is at 8% for Sonos on Android so not in the same ballpark as the 2 of you.

My battery setting for the Sonos App is “optimised”. I did not know this setting existed so it must have been set by Sonos or is a default for my Sony. Alternative settings for this are restricted and unrestricted.

Seems to be an iOS issue. A rare win for Android users with the Sonos app. 🤣

Similar to feedback here

Yeah for me I had 18 min on screen with Sonos app.  36% is a lot of background usage. 

8 minutes of Sonos screen time had led to 30% battery usage (iOS).

It has over 10x more background usage than Safari (at 20h44 vs 1h59), and more than 20x background usage than any other app!

They give with one hand and use up your battery with the other...

Similar to feedback here

8 minutes of Sonos screen time had led to 30% battery usage.

It has over 10x more background usage than Safari (at 20h44 vs 1h59), and more than 20x battery usage than any other app!

They give with one hand and use up your battery with the other...

Could be a tax for faster startup as they may be polling the system so they can track the status so the App is ready when it gets opened.

It does feel like there is still a long way to go with this new App.

I agree. I am experiencing the same battery drain. This is simply incompetent programming and poor testing. This app is really unusable. 

• Improved notification for player firmware updates

Is this improved notification going to be more prominently displayed or transparent in ‘System Updates’? Feel like on the latest firmware updates - I don’t even know they are happening with Update Automatically toggled off.

Does anyone know if my current queue/playlist of songs will be erased if I update the app to the latest version (80.05.04)?

Does anyone know if my current queue/playlist of songs will be erased if I update the app to the latest version (80.04.05)?

None of my playlists/queues disappeared when updating the app. Primarily it’s because these queues are in the speakers themselves, not the app (which is just the controller) so you shouldn’t see any change in your queues across the speakers.

YES. I noticed an overnight battery drain on IOS. Every hour indicates 100% Sonos: Audio, Background Activity.

YES. I noticed an overnight battery drain on IOS. Every hour indicates 100% Sonos: Audio, Background Activity.

Wow, nothing like that on Android! But then there's not much going on on my android anyway... 🤔

Hi @Bumper and @Stingray78, many users are reporting significant battery drain with this week’s v80.05.xx app … on both Android and iOS. Likely does not impact all users. Much more obvious on phones, less so on tablets which have huge batteries.

I’ve learned that Android has a step on iOS wrt “ill behaved” apps: if enabled, the Battery Optimizer feature takes action after recognizing an app sucking down power.

Not yet sure what is behind the super-high power use, tho’ my money is on frequent manual polling of the device firmware in an effort to improve responsiveness. Perhaps @controlav can better opine?

The A-Z shortcuts still seem to be missing from the song list ….lots of scrolling needed and also my song list is vastly truncated….only the first few screenfulls alphabetically are displayed. The search seems to find all songs but the list doesn’t display the full list…very truncated.

The A-Z shortcuts still seem to be missing from the song list ….lots of scrolling needed and also my song list is vastly truncated….only the first few screenfulls alphabetically are displayed. The search seems to find all songs but the list doesn’t display the full list…very truncated.

The A-Z shortcuts are yet to be implemented. I’ve not seen mention of those as coming, but it would be a fair bet they are, as tens of thousands of songs can’t be scrolled down...

iOS version will not start up after updating to the latest rev 80.05.04

and love that Apple does not allow you to roll back versions when this happens…

iOS version will not start up after updating to the latest rev 80.05.04

and love that Apple does not allow you to roll back versions when this happens…

Uninstall the app and reinstall it. 

I’m still getting a 913 error when trying to add my music folder on my Mac.

The new Sonos app is becoming so frustrating to use. Since 80.05.04 I have lost all my system settings as of today 26th July.

My playlists have disappeared. My library has gone so I can no longer access any of my music (I don’t stream) My 2 stored Radio stations have disappeared and the app cannot see 5 of my speakers.

SONOS LET US USE version 16.1 until you properly fix this pile of crap you’ve released. Why do I have to wait to Oct to be able to use playlists again!!!! Give the customers what they are asking for which is access to the old app. Keep them happy while you fix your issues.

Yours Mr Angry

Sonos- you have an S1 version, why not release the 16.1 version separately from this latest v80 train wreck?

Have firmware upgrades to our speaker made this impossible?  If not, why leave us with a broken v80 when 16.1 worked?