Skip to main content
Question

App lagging when changin and/or grouping rooms

• 23 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Since the version 8.0 app (and subsequent updates) I have noticed that when you change rooms or group rooms there is a lag on the app before it updates itself. E.g. Playing music in the Kitchen then move it to Lounge, the app will still show music playing in the Kitchen for a while. At times its taken up to 30 secs to refresh. This was not an issue before the version 8.0 app. The music transfer itself is pretty instant tho, which is obviously the important thing!

Yes I know it's a 'first world problem' and probably a symptom of the modern need for 'instant gratification' but I was wondering whether this is just a problem with my set up that could be a symptom of something else? Or have others noticed this?
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have the same issue. Frustrating to say the least. I thought updates improved functionality but apparently not.
My guess is it is an indication of an issue in your setup, since there haven't been many posts about this across the forum.

I think it would be that there's some potential interference that is causing a delay in the commands being transmitted to your speakers, and your controller getting the response. It might not be enough to to cause the music to skip, stop, or restart, but it may be enough to slow down acceptance and acknowledgement of your commands.

If you wanted to be sure about this, you could submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.

However, that would take some amount of time, and the folks from Sonos seem to be a tad busy, what with all the holidays going on right now.

You could potentially resolve this by doing a relatively simple refresh of your wifi network.

Unplug all of your Sonos devices from power.
Reboot your router.
Plug back in the first Sonos device. If you have one wired to the router with an ethernet cable, choose this one first, otherwise just pick the one physically closest to the router.
After waiting for that device to fully boot up, move on to the next, and plug it in.
Continue doing that last line until you have all devices powered back up.
Try your controller app, and see if it is as fast as it used to be, or if it's still slow.

If it's still slow, then I'd recommend that diagnostic that I suggested above, however, I think it won't be necessary at that point.

And a recommendation, if that does work, I'd do the research to see how to set up reserved/static IP addresses for all devices, Sonos and others, in your router's manual.
Userlevel 3
I already have reserved ip on all my Sonos devices and I also tried the power off, reboot, power on one by one which unfortunately had no effect. I will say since the most recent update it has been better, not cured but better. I also was lucky enough to get a new iPad for Christmas, which is generally much faster than my older model anyway, so that has helped.