Android App is always running?

Is there a reason the Sonos app is always running on my s5? When I force quit the app, it reboots almost immediately. Is anyone else experiencing this battery drain?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Grant, is this still happening? Please check if you have any updates waiting in the Sonos app. Let me know your progress, thanks.
Badge
This is also happening to me with 5.4, the current version. "Force Stop" will terminate it, but it always starts itself up again. Greenify will keep killing it, but it keeps starting again.

This is very frustrating, I would like the ability to start the sonos app when I want to use it, and stop it when I am finished. Now, it consumes resources on my phone all the time, 99.9% of which I'm not using it. Please let end users decide how and when to keep apps like this running. There are no other apps (aside from Google ones like integrated email services) on my phone that I can't stop and have them stay off. 
This is another example of why phones do not make suitable controllers. It's time to come out with a CR300 dedicated controller and put an end to this constant battle trying to make the app based stuff work right.
Badge
I disagree. I would much rather use my phone as a controller, then have another single-purpose piece of hardware lying around that I will lose or break.  Your phone is always on your person, it's easily upgradeable, it's nearly impossible to lose since I can call it or locate it with GPS, and I'd rather not pay extra for another phone-like device that isn't my phone.

The problem here isn't using the phone as a controller; the problem is an app that is either by defect or by design restarting itself all the time. This has nothing to do with the phone itself or as a platform. Just fix the problem, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Can I ask you to submit a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number? If you could also confirm the phone make and model that would be great, thanks.
Still happening 7 months later. I use the Android app on a Nexus 6P (marshmallow) and Greenify does not seem to be able to suspend the Sonos app. I've observed significantly increased battery use with the Sonos app on older phones over the last couple of years which led me use Titanium Backup to freeze the app when I'm not using it. I'm trying to avoid rooting my 6P however, which excludes me from using Titanium. Not sure if battery life is worse with Sonos on the new phone to be honest, would just be nice to able not to have the app running in the background the whole time.
Just installed Greenify and realised that I have the same problem. This on Android 6.0.1 with app version 6.4.1.
Userlevel 1
Same here, using greenify also (but it's irrelevant). We should be able to kill the app when not in use.
Userlevel 2
Any updates on this issue?
I'm observing the same problem on a Google Pixel XL... I can't kill\greenify it.
I'm uninstalling it until this is fixed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Any updates on this issue?
I'm observing the same problem on a Google Pixel XL... I can't kill\greenify it.
I'm uninstalling it until this is fixed.

I've had this issue with a couple different apps, but not with the Sonos one. I'm running Android 7.0, and it went away when I uninstalled/reinstalled. I've had some luck with clearing cache/etc for "required apps" too, but that's more complicated. For something like this I'd try the uninstall then reinstall if you haven't already.