Skip to main content

I’m sure a lot of us use old tablets to control Sonos, I use this Vizio tablet. After the recent update i’m getting a warning saying that my Android version, 6,  is not supported. There is no Android update available for this tablet.

The app still works, will it stop working completely in the future?

Probably at some point, likely not soon though. Sonos has limited ability to support hardware that is unsupported by the manufacturer.

A cheap tablet or Amazon Fire will do the job or borrow a newer device if you need access to disables stuff.

Thanks.We have newer phones, the tablets are just around the house for others to use.

I don’t see why Sonos needs to drop support of Android versions, the controller software isn’t doing anything new.

Because Google drops support for developers, and removes any documentation that a Sonos engineer might need to fix any bugs or security issues. 

Because Google drops support for developers, and removes any documentation that a Sonos engineer might need to fix any bugs or security issues. 

“Google .. removes any documentation” -- really? Would a software organisation (Sonos in this case) be dependent on Google to provide a continuity of documentation and really not “back up” in some way any documents pertinent to their development program?

I for one would not just assume I can find just user manuals on-line all the time. If my work/job/company depended on Android version x which Google had dropped support for a few years ago, I would ensure my organisation had its own version of documentation.

I take it you’ve never had to support multiple versions of several OS types simultaneously. That’s fine, but maintains local copies of hundreds of thousands of web pages of support documentation can certainly be onerous, especially when multiplied across each OS version. It’s been a while, but I wonder if there’s a legal agreement that suggests you can’t store them locally, too. I honestly don’t remember, but I do know the programming teams I worked with would reference data for both Android and iOS on the respective websites, using a ‘licensed’ account to gain access.

In the gaming industry in which I worked, we would do much the same thing, with both desktop OS and mobile OS. When the support stopped, we would need to stop supporting it as well. It wasn’t ever something we were excited to do. 

Same thing here.

I have four of the Visio tablets. Perfect stations for Sonos.

Wireless charging base, small but nice screen.

Just another thing ive gotten with all the software updates!
Lost PC Settings, Android connect to Sonos speaker Wifi, etc.

Cant wait for the May features, lost!

Its like they dont want me to buy any more Sonos products or something.

https://www.androidcentral.com/whatsapp-drops-support-millions-older-smartphones

Surely if Facebook can support from Android 3+ Sonos can manage 6+.

https://www.androidcentral.com/whatsapp-drops-support-millions-older-smartphones

WhatsApp have tens of millions of users in 3rd world countries running ancient phones because those folks are too poor to get anything better. Very different demographic to Sonos customers.

WhatsApp have tens of millions of users in 3rd world countries running ancient phones because those folks are too poor to get anything better. Very different demographic to Sonos customers.

Of course, I forgot, Sonos expects its customers to replace everything every 5 years :joy:

Of course, I forgot, Sonos expects its customers to replace everything every 5 years :joy:

Is that the same Sonos that has kept my ZP-80s and Play 5 gen 1s working since 2006? And only now announced they will be no longer getting new features but will still be able to be used?

Is that the same Sonos that has kept my ZP-80s and Play 5 gen 1s working since 2006? And only now announced they will be no longer getting new features but will still be able to be used?

Not really sure how that is relevant to this topic? Move on please.

Not really sure how that is relevant to this topic? Move on please.

I find it quite relevant in response to this:

Of course, I forgot, Sonos expects its customers to replace everything every 5 years :joy:

Not relevant to this topic JG, and I've told you before, I'm not interested in your thoughts.

Not relevant to this topic JG, and I've told you before, I'm not interested in your thoughts.

I will post what I like, when I like, and I could not care less what you are interested in.  If you have a problem with that, take it up with the mods.  They will let you know if I am breaking TOS or not.  

Maybe contribute to the discussion then. Do you think Sonos should stop support of Android versions over 3 years old when other companies can manage to do so?

Maybe contribute to the discussion then. Do you think Sonos should stop support of Android versions over 3 years old when other companies can manage to do so?

Not something I worry about.  Do you think it is accurate to make the blanket accusation Sonos is a company that “expects its customers to replace everything every 5 years” when they are on record as supporting things three times that when possible? 

Not something I worry about.  

Jog on then 👍🙋

Well this discussion went down hill quick. Looks like a question was asked, it’s been answered, and we can now close this conversation and move on without unnecessary back and forth. Let’s try and stay friendly in other threads.