Amazon Echo controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I think if Sonos doesn't do this soon Amazon is going to jump on the opportunity and start selling speakers of similar quality to Sonos. 
Userlevel 1
I even have an app on my Pebble that controls my Sonos systems... Amazon and Sonos just need to play well together
Userlevel 1
+1 - Sonos needs to engage Amazon cooperatively... Their business model is to suck the air out of a market's profit margin so they are the only competitor left. Looking at the number of existing Sonos users that listen to their inferior echo for the convenience.... That should be a big warning sign to Sonos to push integration instead of competition.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I think it would be a big win for Sonos, the only thing that might be stopping them is if they have their own voice controller in the works. I don't know if I'd pay the high price to have a proprietary Sonos controller sitting next to my Echo. Echo's versatility wins that battle hands down.
This actually shouldn't be too difficult. Sonos equipment can receive instructions via API calls. This is how the 3rd party Phonos apps for Windows Phones works. An independent developer wrote the app, it runs on Windows Phone and sends instructions over WIFI to the sonos equipment in your home. No reason someone couldn't write a similar 3rd party application that runs on Echo, takes commands via voice and relays them to the Sonos API's. Sonos could write their own or wait for Amazon or someone in the community to do it. I have no use for an Echo, but if such an app was created, I'd buy it for that very reason.
I love my Sonos system.  Love Love Love.  I'm getting an Echo this week and I really don't want the Echo to take over due to convenience.  Sell my Sonos? Uhg!?!
Sonos: Please, please, please. I hope this request is simple enough to understand.  You have some real fans out here.  Don't lose out to an inferior product; embrace the integration.
Echo is a dream but the sound is meh, please make yer robots talk nice to each other? Or at least let Echo do the taking for yer robots.  It's 2015, everyone can get married now. Be cool. 
Userlevel 1
Although I like the name (Sonos Vox) it wouldn't be a mass market appeal like Amazon Echo. I suspect it would be the same sort of equation of people choosing the Sonos app on their phone vs the Sonos controller
Another vote for echo integration for sonos voice control. Even if it's a third party integration using an IFTTT type interface would be okay. Just some basic controls for track skip, play, pause, and volume would be a great start. 
Yes..it would be super if I could say
Alexa play the blue jays game on my sonos.

Alexa play party playlist in Living Room.
Yes it should be through Echo.  No need for a stand alone Sonos product.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Why not add a microphone to the existing speaker systems. BoM increase can't be that large. 
Alternatively, could also have a 'listener' on the mobile controller apps (iOS , Android): "Sonos...(yes)...play Taylor Swift...(ok)". If the 'bad guys' can tap into our mobile microphones surely Sonos can too.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You just know a good programmer with a six pack of Red Bull could knock this thing out in a few hours. The question is who is going to get it done, Sonos or Amazon... Or do we have to do it ourselves? Somebody is missing an opportunity here.
Userlevel 2
Amazon just made its SDK public, even adding development funding for third parties: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/echo. Anybody got the appropriate skillset and some time on their hands?
Userlevel 1
As a proof of concept, this guy got it working: http://mattwel.ch/voice-control-for-the-sonos-with-an-echo/ The overall experience needs a little tuning, but it shows that it can be done without significant development effort. It truly is a matter of will. I believe Sonos needs to do it, they have the equipment on site (the bridge) and the incentive (to keep their customer base from drifting to Echo) -- and the expertise of developing quite polished solutions.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Amazon just made its SDK public, even adding development funding for third parties: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/echo. Anybody got the appropriate skillset and some time on their hands?
Sweet! I'll buy the Red Bull!
I would buy the echo if it had this feature.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I would sell all my Sonos stuff and buy another product with similar sound quality for this feature. Our Sonos system is starting to gather dust as everyone around here just finds it so much easier to use the Echo to listen to the music they want to hear.
Came in here to beg for the same feature.  Would drive me to buy more echo's and more Sonos equipment (already have 30+ zones over 3 homes)
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Now that the Echo is in general release and will be shipping in a week or so I got a feeling this thread might get busy. I wonder if anyone at Sonos reads these and could be bothered to respond.  We just moved and have held off on buying four new Play 3s because we're waiting to see what happens. 
I'm tempted to give it a go.. Have done lots of AWS development... Would be fun to give Echo and Sonos a go.. Now just need to find time
+1 - Sonos needs to engage Amazon cooperatively... Their business model is to suck the air out of a market's profit margin so they are the only competitor left. Looking at the number of existing Sonos users that listen to their inferior echo for the convenience.... That should be a big warning sign to Sonos to push integration instead of competition.
Completely agree. Paradigm shifts happen all the time when new technology enables it. Sonos was one of the first and definitely the best for mesh networked home music but the introduction of Echo is so disruptive that many of us with reconsider unless we get integration between them.
I think it would be a big win for Sonos, the only thing that might be stopping them is if they have their own voice controller in the works. I don't know if I'd pay the high price to have a proprietary Sonos controller sitting next to my Echo. Echo's versatility wins that battle hands down.
Amazon through its sheer scale will always be able to provide a better voice recognition cloud service than Sonos could do on its own
I keep accidnently trying to do it...seems so natural, cant wait!