Skip to main content

I have a daily alarm set to play TuneIn BBC Radio 4 on my sonos system. Recently I got the warning on there that TuneIn is stopping the BBC programmes on 21st March 2021. So I changed my alarm to use Sonos BBC radio 4 channel.

However it continued to play the tuneIn one. As a check, I changed it to Sonos Radio 3 for this morning. It didn’t play. I saw it showed it as playing though. Also it was showing up as an HD station.

Anyway I’m concerned that after 21st March I won’t be able to set an alarm to play BBC radio 4. And will I need to pay a subscription to access Radio 3 as it’s showing as HD?

I live in the UK. Access to these stations is an important part of my daily listening and how I use SONOS. It’s a bit of a deal breaker for my use of SONOS in future. I am on SONOS 2 although my devices are mainly older, I do expect them to last longer!

Hi @SallyWhy, welcome to the community.

TuneIn have informed us that the BBC have been in touch to help them make the changes required to maintain BBC live stations on their service. They’ve made the requested changes to their streams, so listeners shouldn’t hear the hourly message any more. We have a main thread for this topic that I’ll link below that contains all the relevant information. The short version is the BBC will still provide live streams on Sonos through Sonos Radio, TuneIn and Radioplayer services post-22nd March. We’re not certain yet what will happen to other services, such as MyTunerRadio, as it’s up to the individual services to update to the new BBC streaming URLs. I’d suggest using either Sonos Radio, TuneIn or Radioplayer for listening to BBC stations on Sonos.

Thanks for that.

There does however, seem to be a bug around the alarm settings showing the ‘wrong’ radio channel. If I select a SONOS BBC station, it plays the TuneIn one.