Answered

Alarm on multiple speakers which are in multiple groups

• 9 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I would like music to start playing on three different speakers at the same time. Thought an alarm would be best, but, even though there is a grouped rooms option, it only goes off on one speaker. A few questions for you pros:

1. What is the purpose of that “included grouped speakers” option if it does not play speakers grouped together?
  2. I have multiple groups, in which the same speakers are grouped. How does checking that option determine which of the speaker’s groups are triggered?
  3. Finally, if there is no way to make this work, would setting the same alarm (to Sirius XM) on multiple speakers seperately work?

Thanks all! 

D

icon

Best answer by John B 9 January 2024, 17:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I would like music to start playing on three different speakers at the same time. Thought an alarm would be best, but, even though there is a grouped rooms option, it only goes off on one speaker. A few questions for you pros:

1. What is the purpose of that “included grouped speakers” option if it does not play speakers grouped together?

The alarm audio should occur across the grouped rooms and play to all speakers in the group. I just tested this and it’s working okay here. Maybe test things again.

1. I have multiple groups, in which the same speakers are grouped. How does checking that option determine which of the speaker’s groups are triggered?

It simply apples to whatever speakers are grouped with that speaker at the time the alarm is actioned. Some users, for example, may setup the room group, before retiring to bed. 

1. Finally, if there is no way to make this work, would setting the same alarm (to Sirius XM) on multiple speakers seperately work?

Thanks all! 

It should be working, so make sure something is not awry with your network, as a reboot/update of devices may sometimes break apart the group if the updates are scheduled automatically overnight, or there is an issue with network interference, or the router is powering down for power-saving purposes etc.

It is impossible for a speaker to be in more than one group at a time, so the issue does not arise.

To add a bit of explanation, the so-called “user defined groups” are mirages.  They are just short-cut button presses.  What matters is which speakers are actually grouped when the alarm goes off.

(I am guessing that this is the source of your confusion.)

Thanks, John and Ken, for your kindness in responding and good thoughts. 

Thanks, John and Ken, for your kindness in responding and good thoughts. 

If you do continue to have any difficulties with this, then perhaps post back and maybe some things can be suggested, that’s if you share some brief details about your local network setup and the Sonos products you’re grouping.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms