Skip to main content
Question

AirPlay work-around for GEN1 Sonos system.

• 18 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Customer Support directed me to Tech Support, and Tech Support funneled me into community, so here goes:  I have an extensive Sonos system in my house now, all devices being "Gen 1" (Play:1, Play:3, Play:5, original Subs, Connects, Playbars, etc). None have AirPlay compatibility in them. I am also therefore tied to the S1 controller. If I add a Sonos One to my home system, can I use it as a bridge to AirPlay to other Sonos products in my house? For example, can I set my MacBook Pros audio output to the Sonos One and then "group" it with my office's Play:5 1st Gen speakers? If yes, which controller will I be using from that point on? S1, S2 or both? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

You can play whatever Airplay allows you to play from a Mac. I am not sure that all audio output is possible as it is with iOS devices, but that is an Apple / Airplay issue.

You wouldn't be using the S1 or S2 controller, you'd be using Airplay.  (Well your system must be S1 so you would use that to group.)

But the general principle of grouping Airplay compatible speakers with others so as to play Airplay to non-compatible ones is correct.