Skip to main content

Since Sonos is having so many problems, playing Apple Music. Is there a quality difference between playing airplay or Sonos app? Does it sound better coming through the Sonos app versus straight from airplay?

Why not solves the problems you are having with your Sonos system?

What problems are you having with the Sonos system?  I would always regard Airplay as a last resort.

I notice that the sound quality is much better when I play Apple Music via AirPlay compared to from the Sonos App.

However, I can only hear the difference, when I play the music via my Port, I cannot hear the difference, when I play the music via my "small" Sonos speakers.

In the Port settings , is line-out level set to variable or fixed? 

Also, louder usually sounds better, and so unless you have a means of ensuring the same decibel level, subjective opinions on on what sounds better are notoriously unreliable.

In the Port settings , is line-out level set to variable or fixed? 

Also, louder usually sounds better, and so unless you have a means of ensuring the same decibel level, subjective opinions on on what sounds better are notoriously unreliable.

It is via the analogue variable output, yes I know everything about sound levels and so on.

I have worked professionally with sound for many years, so I think I know something about sound settings etc.

I also know there are many on this forum who says that the sound via AirPlay is not better than via the Sonos App, - but I think it is.

As I wrote, this improvement cannot be heard on the small speakers and of course you have to know what you are listening for, but I experience an improvement, the sound is more airy and dynamic via airplay, when I play via my Port, connected to a powerful/dynamic power amplifier and quality speakers.

This is a discussion that regularly appears in this forum and sometimes I feel that the users who participate in the discussions are people who are satisfied with the sound, just the ump-ump sound comes out of their 2 Play1 speakers. 

I live in Denmark and have sometimes thought that when the difference cannot be noticed by others, that Apple perhaps might be linking to another music server in Denmark, a server that other parts og the world do not have access to.

But I'm logging out now, I've told what I'm experiencing.

But I would just encourage Apple to get lossless sound on the Sonos App. a.s.a.p.

Unfortunately, Apple does not maintain a presence here in these forums. 

Unfortunately, Apple does not maintain a presence here in these forums. 

I think everyone knows that, it was just written to draw attention to where the ball is right now, in terms of a better Apple sound quality on the Sonos app, but you got your 2 points ;-)

Your last sentence of the previous post suggested that you weren’t aware. Or perhaps I inferred that. In any case, it’s a true statement.

I’d certainly agree with your sentiment, though. I would love for Apple to dedicate additional resources to the Sonos community of users. There are many things they could do to help. 

@Gert_4 .  You may well know a lot about sound.  That does not change the fact that subjective, non-blind comparisons of audio quality are pretty much useless.