Airplay prompts for password even though password disabled

• 29 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Lots of threads out there Re airplay not working due to password prompt. 

Just bought a new Move for $500bucks expecting to AirPlay to it and can’t?!?!?!

no solution out there that works… and before everyone chimes in about disabling airplay passwords that has already been validated. 

Sonos do you have a solution? Please don’t point to all the previously posted articles on disabling passwords… tried everything publicly available to no resolution. 

please advise. Thx. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Can you show us an error message? What source are you attempting to play?

I’m virtually never an Airplay user, but I just demonstrated that I can play Amazon Music via AirPlay and my iPad. There were no issues.

From iPhone 13Max running IOS 16.5.©, playing music on Apple Music app, when you attempt to AirPlay to any airplay compatible Sonios device it prompts to enter airplay password displayed on the screen  

needless to say Sonos devices do not have a screen to view the airplay code  

Again airplay passwords os disabled and always have been on all Apple devices in my house. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

From iPhone 13Max running IOS 16.5.©, playing music on Apple Music app, when you attempt to AirPlay to any airplay compatible Sonios device it prompts to enter airplay password displayed on the screen  

needless to say Sonos devices do not have a screen to view the airplay code  

Again airplay passwords os disabled and always have been on all Apple devices in my house. 

Is your phone MDM-controlled (eg via InTune?). Some MDM policies force PINs on Airplay, which makes them incompatible with Sonos.

@controlav I think you nailed it!!!

I dug up an old iphone… wiped it clean and airplay worked… I get it’s a different hw platform and IOS. I also took my wife’s personal phone (iphone 12 same IOS version as my phone) and it works!

I do have a work related security policy on my phone and what you stated totally makes sense. I assume this is the root-cause for many folks whereby things don’t work after disabling “airplay password” requirements.

Excellent catch and thank-you!!