Answered

Adding never used CR200 to existing S1 system

• 31 January 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi team. 

I have been given a sealed CR200 and was wondering if it is still possible to add it to an existing S1 system?

It will be running the original software it was built with (2013). 

Is it possible to add and update like a normal player or would it need support intervention? Or possibly not work at all…..

I would rather keep it sealed as a collectors item if it is not going to be possible to use it in my S1 system. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 31 January 2022, 11:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

It would likely need Sonos Support intervention, but I don’t think Sonos support the S1 only products nowadays anyway, so you’re probably going to be out of luck and it maybe a ‘collectors item’ as you suggest. You can of course ask them the question by contacting Sonos Support via this LINK.

HTH

Iam trying to reach Sonos support couple times whith exactly same question. My CR200 has 5.4 sw version (i think that the last sw ver is 7.4) and can not be updated because of an error when hit the update button. They always said the same: This device is obsolete and cant be updated in any way, not even remotely.

You can rephrase that: you can throw it in the trash.

And Iam really dont think that sonos devices has some kind a collectors value since it dont work at all and with such an attitude to consumers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What attitude? Sonos stopped selling the  CR200 in april 2012, so almost 10 years ago.

That attitude that they can not provide update to the latest sw version of their devices. I agreed that CR200 is too old for new stuff, but iam pretty sure that on sw ver of Controller S1(and other sonos devices) something about 8 or 9 or 10 it (i mean CR200) worked perfectly fine. 

That attitude that they can not provide update to the latest sw version of their devices. I agreed that CR200 is too old for new stuff, but iam pretty sure that on sw ver of Controller S1(and other sonos devices) something about 8 or 9 or 10 it (i mean CR200) worked perfectly fine. 

It does sound like you have surpassed the App version that supported that old CR200 controller and so there’s no way to revert back, but you may find you can trade-up the device for a voucher instead (possibly?), if it’s not been claimed previously, that is? …Just check your online Sonos account to see if the offer is available to you.

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/offers/upgrade/

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes it did work on that software, but even if you sold it to someone who has chosen to freeze on v8.4 (I think that is the one) they cannot take any updates at all, including for the CR200.

Try taking a ten year old iPhone from a brand new box and updating that...

It does sound like you have surpassed the App version that supported that old CR200 controller and so there’s no way to revert back, but you may find you can trade-up the device for a voucher instead (possibly?), if it’s not been claimed previously, that is? …Just check your online Sonos account to see if the offer is available to you.

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/offers/upgrade/

Youre absolutely right. The latest ver of the android app does not support CR200, and the opposite CR200 does not support higher sw ver. And yes i can get a voucher for discount (as support says).

But iam not trying to get some money back for an very old device. I just want to get an authentic and conviniet device to control my system (for me and for my guests). And yes, i know that for that purpose i can get a simple android phone and get rid of frustrations trying to make CR200 work.

Yes it did work on that software, but even if you sold it to someone who has chosen to freeze on v8.4 (I think that is the one) they cannot take any updates at all, including for the CR200.

Yep, i agreed. Today i have no options to update older sw. ver. No way at all.

But, correct me if iam wrong. Lets just say ill buy an old device that support Sonos S2 app. Can i update it from the older sw ver? I think i can do that. I guess that old sw update is turn off for very old devices, but not for moderately old.

And about ten year old iPhone. Ok, not the iPhone. I have an very old released in 2010 Sonos ZonePlayer S5 and for some reason it still work realy fine and got the latest sw version 11.3. Not like CR200 :)

As i say earlier all i want is for there to be a way to update CR200 for latest sw ver. Thats it. 

Yep, i agreed. Today i have no options to update older sw. ver. No way at all.

But, correct me if iam wrong. Lets just say ill buy an old device that support Sonos S2 app. Can i update it from the older sw ver? I think i can do that. I guess that old sw update is turn off for very old devices, but not for moderately old.

And about ten year old iPhone. Ok, not the iPhone. I have an very old released in 2010 Sonos ZonePlayer S5 and for some reason it still work realy fine and got the latest sw version 11.3. Not like CR200 :)

As i say earlier all i want is for there to be a way to update CR200 for latest sw ver. Thats it. 

I think you will have to go pay a developer to hack Sonos code and write a version of the CR200 firmware that works with the lastest S1 software version….since it does not exist.

You just aren’t getting it.  There is no “latest sw ver.” for the CR200.  The CR200 is no longer supported.  

You just aren’t getting it.  There is no “latest sw ver.” for the CR200.  The CR200 is no longer supported.  

Iam getting that. I know that it does not longer support. I know that there is no way to update it. 

But there is last sw ver that was for CR200. In other topics someone says that they had 7.4 on their CR200 and it worked with speakers that had 11.3 ver.

Mine CR200 had 5.2 that much older ver than 7.4 and no way to update to 7.4.

Iam getting that. I know that it does not longer support. I know that there is no way to update it. 

But there is last sw ver that was for CR200. In other topics someone says that they had 7.4 on their CR200 and it worked with speakers that had 11.3 ver.

Mine CR200 had 5.2 that much older ver than 7.4 and no way to update to 7.4.

Now you are getting it.  Yes, there is no way to update to 7.4.  The CR200 is no longer supported.  It is essentially a paperweight.