Skip to main content

Does anyone know if there is a way to essentially add a paging function to an existing system, perhaps via a script? My client owns a business and uses several SONOS speakers tied together as multiple zones playing the same content throughout he store. He wants to be able to play background music (ie: Pandora) but add the functionality of something like pushing a mic button and announcing over the “PA”, then seamlessly returning to the original source. It is possible to add a PORT for the source but that would require one select the alternate “line-in’ source then reselect the original but that's’s less than ideal. A custom scrip that performs these functions would work as the base software lacks (AFAIK) the functionality to do anything but manual switching.  Thanks!  

This could work via Google Assistent’s broadcast function, but that would mean anyone within shouting distance from a speaker could make announcement.

There are a few third party apps that can do this. I think jishi’s node.js code can do this too, I know it includes TTS support (text-to-speech).

Note that the technical challenge with this is restoring the previous playback after the audio clip has finished.

The newer Sonos devices support the audio-clips API which make this easy, not sure if anyone has written an app that uses it yet.

There is an app called Voice Intercom for Sonos that I use at home.  Don’t know if it would fit the bill or not, but worth a try.