Skip to main content

It's easy to add a Bluetooth playback device to Logitechs Media Server.  Several independent apps provide playback which can be routed to Bluetooth headsets and or speakers.  Adds another facility for using LMS across devices.

Sonos insistence on a closed system might have a certain commercial logic but does inhibit innovation. 

Not sure what you are asking for here. In order to support Bluetooth, a device needs an actual Bluetooth radio in the device. No amount of software is going to magically add that to Sonos hardware that doesn’t have it already.

Purchase:

• 1 x Sonos Port
  • 1 x Bluetooth transmitter

Open any Sonos app and play.

I must be being slow here because I am TOTALLY baffled by this request. My mobile phone already has a Bluetooth transmitter that enables me to play to a range of speakers and headphones. What would it mean to add a 'BT playback device' to the Sonos app on my mobile phone?

The Sonos app is a remote control not a music player.

I can make no sense of this request. What would it actually allow you to do?

I could have misinterpreted “Bluetooth playback device” in the OP. If what’s requested is a Bluetooth input to the Sonos system all that’s required is a Roam.

My own thoughts were @castalla was asking to be able to play all the audio available through the Sonos App on any Bluetooth receiver/speaker - so as an example, being able to use the App as a ‘one for all’ player, rather than just using it as a ‘remote’ - I personally can’t see Sonos going down that route.

Other (perhaps similar) suggestions I’ve seen online, appear to call for a separate Sonos Radio HD Player App, so that subscribers can use their Radio HD service when out and about… I thinks that seems a ‘slightly’ better suggestion. However none of these things are really in keeping with the current Sonos core business.

Okay.  

Scenario 1:   Android tablet plus Bluetooth earpods.  Use squeezeplayer apk to provide software player controlled by squeezebox controller

I know the Sonos app is a controller only. 

Adding a port plus bt transmitter is ridiculously expensive I'm afraid

Wouldn't it be possible to restrict a software player to a sonos system which has at least one physical device?  

You’ve been here long enough to know that you will never see a ‘software Sonos player’. It would spell commercial ruin. 

If you want to service BT earphones from a phone/tablet then just use a suitable app: Amazon, Spotify et al, or VLC for a local network share. 

You’ve been here long enough to know that you will never see a ‘software Sonos player’. It would spell commercial ruin. 

If you want to service BT earphones from a phone/tablet then just use a suitable app: Amazon, Spotify et al, or VLC for a local network share. 

I guess you're right that it will never happen.  Pity. 

Cheers.