Skip to main content

Add a non-default iTunes Library

• 27 December 2020
  • 4 replies

My iTunes Library is massive - if I try to add it to Sonos it spends ages cataloguing it then, ultimately, I cannot see anything in it. It’s just blank when I select it.

However, most of my iTunes library is available on Deezer and Spotify anyway, so I only need a few albums in my iTunes library to listen to on Sonos. 

I created a second iTunes library with just a few albums in it (you can see how here) and tried to import this into Sonos. But it just automatically imports my standard iTunes library. Very annoying. Especially s there is no way to cancel the process and I have to wait hours for it to unsuccessfully finish so I can have another go. 

Does anyone know how to not import the default iTunes library and instead select the location?

Many thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In Music Library setup you need to delete the existing path to your iTunes Library and enter the path to the folder you want to use.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply John. But you cannot enter a path on the Mac App. It just finds it automatically. 

On the iPhone app you can enter a path but it always gives me the error “The Computer ********* refused to let the Sonos product connect to it”

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ve just found another solution to the issue. I can add the new iTunes library by simply selecting the second option from the Add Library + tab: “Another folder or drive connected to my computer”. It doesn’t seem to respect artwork or playlists but it’s working fine.

I’ve just found another solution to the issue. I can add the new iTunes library by simply selecting the second option from the Add Library + tab: “Another folder or drive connected to my computer”. It doesn’t seem to respect artwork or playlists but it’s working fine.

Glad it is working.  I think you did what I suggested you should do.