A linux controller is needed.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29570
By chance, do you have success story with this?
I am failed, even if I tried to install the requested packages.

With Ubuntu 13.10 work for me. I read that with debian unstable work too.
Obviously, as many of you already said, the lack of a Linux controller is a definite showstopper for me. I already have first-generation Sonos products, and I was planning to extend the system, but this will *not* happen without a Linux controller -- all my home PCs are Linux-based ...
Since Sonos doesn't seem to understand, I thinks we should all start searching for other solutions, and never mind them. They should soon see how many customers they're losing ...

I'm not sure about it. We are 242 people that like this idea, nearly 100 follow\ the thread. But Sonos don't give a official answer to the thread. Maybe if we \make a campaign in kickstarter.com or some other crowdfunding site. You can say \how many Sonos component you will buy, but only if Sonos implement a Linux controller. Maybe so the really see, how much the lost. 

Thanks, a technical question, was any trick during the installation? I would like to know where I failed under Linux Mint 16.

I don't remember any. I follow your Link and it work. 
A linux Controller with a Web Interface would be great!  I am sticking to my squeezebox setup until I can find an equivalent.  Since most NASs run on linux, with a Linux controller with a web interface it would be easy for people to create an app with the software so it can just sit there and be accessed by whoever.  Which is what people did with the squeezebox/logitech server
Badge
+1 to a native client! (also for indexing and serving a mp3 collection stored on a linux system!!!)
+1 for a native linux controller
I have a variety of computers for development (and family), the computer I use most uses Linux and I am very disappointed that there is no native sonos program. Even a command line interface to switch songs would be better than nothing. I could create myself a gui in a day to control sonos if there was something like an api
I have a variety of computers for development (and family), the computer I use most uses Linux and I am very disappointed that there is no native sonos program. Even a command line interface to switch songs would be better than nothing. I could create myself a gui in a day to control sonos if there was something like an api
I have a variety of computers for development (and family), the computer I use most uses Linux and I am very disappointed that there is no native sonos program. Even a command line interface to switch songs would be better than nothing.
I'd buy Sonos if there was full Linux support. Please hurry!
Userlevel 2
Tested this today and it works under Arch Linux x86_64. Is applicable to Ubuntu, etc.

https://plus.google.com/106514939597919545192/posts/cWX2bhqayhs
Please, just do it!
Userlevel 2
Yes this should definitly be the next released os!
Userlevel 2
Yes this should definitly be the next released os!
Badge +18
At this time, Sonos does not intend to develop and maintain a version of our Desktop Controller which will run natively on Linux and so we’ve marked this thread as Not Planned.

We understand the desire for the ease of use a native controller would provide; we love Linux and use it ourselves.  Linux is part of our own development process and Sonos players themselves run Linux. However, since Linux is not widely used in most homes it simply doesn’t make sense for us to develop and maintain a native application right now.  

Thanks for sharing your support for this idea, and please make sure to check out some of the discussions around this topic taking place on our forums, if you haven’t already.
Shame... I have 7 players... I have Ubuntu, iPad, and Android. I use mostly Ubuntu... I don't plan to buy more players, until Linux support is added.
It's a shame there will be no app for linux, but as other people have mentioned the below solution is offering a workaround through playonlinux.  I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64.

Badge +18
It's a shame there will be no app for linux, but as other people have mentioned the below solution is offering a workaround through playonlinux.  I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64.

This is great, thanks for sharing.
Sonos is officially supporting 5 different platforms, which aren't all exactly blessed with a majorly big market share (Apple Desktop systems), yet your reasoning for not supporting GNU/Linux is exactly that, market share?

One of the reasons why GNU/Linux is not widely used for home desktops is companies like Sonos, who decide to dance around free software platform support like the proverbial beat around the bush.

If you really do like Linux as you claim you do, then take it on you to do something for that ecosystem that obviously provides you something you like, and even use.

Free software is a community effort. As such, it needs _your_ help. You don't have to open source your code. You can elect free software friendly representatives, stop buying products of free software hostile companies or release your own software for a free software platform, etc. There are many options to help free software, which obviously incorporates things you like, thrive. Which do you take?
Sorry, SONOS, I will cancel my offer (6 Play1, 2 Play3, 1 Playbar, 1Sub). I agree with you - Linux is not widely used in most companies, Linux is not widely supported from most companies.
I'd really would like to see a native Linux controller too. For example with the introduction of the Steamboxes from Valve Software there will (hopefully) be a lot of Debian-based Steam OS'es out there, which will (hopefully) rise the Linux market-share %, which will (hopefully) urge Sonos to reconsider to build a native Linux app.

I do run 2 Linux PC's myself.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Even if it's not a native solution, I have try quickly to install the last Windows Beta Sonos Controller with Wine on my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04LTS). But unfortunately the execution is frozen when the splatchscreen is displayed.
Dear Sonos Manager(s),
I joint these comments to request a Linux controller:
I am actually looking for a music player system and I was almost seduced by your amplifier+players because it seems (from my internet research) to be the only wireless system giving a sound of good quality. The only problem is that I would not be able to control it because I use Linux and you did not develop a controller for this system. Therefore, I joint these posts to let you know that Linux has now a large public of non-programming users who regret to be prevented to use your system. Hoping that you will finally decide to have it developed, I will wait a few more months...
Best regards

Anne M  (from France)
If not a Linux controller, at least humour us with a browser based solution?