Skip to main content

6/17/24 update

• 17 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Sonos dropped a new update today, and I was sincerely hoping that this one would (FINALLY) restore our ability to link to our local stored music, making it available through the Sonos Music Library.   Alas, despite that promise of a “mid June” fix, today’s didn't work.  I have a MacBook Pro (late 2018) running the latest MacOS.

So does anybody know  the latest ETA for when we will be able to play the music we’ve purchased and stored on our systems, via SONOS?

Perhaps as an aside, I cannot fathom why SONOS chose to take so much away from the many who have already invested in SONOS systems, so that SONOS can introduce new headphones.  There’s no way in hell I’m going to buy headphones from a company that took away some of the most relied-upon features for our existing SONOS products, to hit a release date for their new product.  Why would I assume any headphones I might purchase wouldn’t be treated the same way down the road?

2 replies

If you haven't enabled a shared directory for your library, there’s nothing Sonos can do to fix it.  The two ways Sonos used to share libraries, SMB v1 and HTTP, have been deemed insecure and are no longer supported.  So you need to enable a share on your Mac.  See this video:

We have had the Windows based sharing of libraries work but the Mac OS is a truly fickle beast with this update.    It  simply worked prior to the update and after the update it does not and will not succeed in adding the library back when it is hosted by a Mac.     

Can I opt out the feature enhancing kick in the electrons and just have the Sonos pre-update back?