Question

4g data usage

• 9 October 2017
  • 4 replies

why would Sonos us my 4g data?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have recently used up 20g of data and the only thing I can think of is that I was using Sonos in the house via my mob ill phone... to even connect to the Sonos I have to be on wifi so how could this be?
The Sonos app is just a controller and mobile data would be used only if a mobile device is providing the network (as a mobile hotspot) that Sonos is set up on. You should perhaps look for another explanation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
If I understand correctly...

You're seeing 20GB of mobile data use, and you think Sonos might be the cause. Assuming you have a newer phone, it should be easy enough to confirm what your 'Mobile Data Usage' is for each app

There's a couple reasons to think it wouldn't primarily be Sonos. First is that music streaming, even at a relatively high bit rate, would take hundreds of hours to reach that. The second is that Sonos doesn't stream through your phone. It uses your wireless connection, and the phone is little more than a remote control. Unless you're doing a hotspot like John said.

If you can't check the data usage then we'll have to get alittle more creative.
The only other thing I could think of is if you were streaming from your phone to a line-in on Sonos - but I cannot imagine why you would do that. And you would have to not have your phone connected to wifi.. which all sounds implausible.