Answered

14.18 Broke Desktop Volume Controller

• 19 October 2022
  • 75 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

The update to 14.18 seems to have broken the volume controller on the desktop app (Windows 11).  While I can still adjust the overall volume of a particular group with the top slide, the pop-up sliders that allow me to control the volume of the speakers within the group individually are no longer functional. 

I have confirmed that all of my speakers, as well as the apps on my phone and desktop all updated to 14.18. The sliders are working normally on my phone.

icon

Best answer by jstory 15 November 2022, 19:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 2

Two weeks since the update broke the sliders - and yes, various issues with the controller have gotten worse over time. Would love to know when this is going to get fixed.

Same here, been broken now for weeks. Very annoying

Sonos’ silence on this issue is deafening.  It is especially infuriating when trying to get other household members to embrace the PC controller.

SONOS...WHERE ARE YOU?!  (And no...”Sonos is aware of this problem and is working on it” isn’t satisfactory.  Would you kindly show a bit of respect to your userbase and let us know what is going on?)

Sonos’ silence on this issue is deafening.  It is especially infuriating when trying to get other household members to embrace the PC controller.

SONOS...WHERE ARE YOU?!  (And no...”Sonos is aware of this problem and is working on it” isn’t satisfactory.  Would you kindly show a bit of respect to your userbase and let us know what is going on?)

Sonos never gives details about future releases.  Ever.  You might as well scream at the wind. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Corry at Sonos, can you please explain why the Sonos Escalation Team has replied that this issue is NOT expected to be addressed till YEAR END???!!!!   WHAT??? 

Sonos, you broke this important key controller issue, PLEASE FIX IT NOW!!!  

It appears to me that the current problems with this release affects the vast majority of users.  All users on the Windows controller and all IOS users have issues with this release. 

I wonder how Sonos expects to sell any new speakers to anyone knowing that the current version of the app doesn’t work properly. 

Adjusting the volume is THE ESSENTIAL function of a sound system controller.  There were many issues with the software before this, but this will bring sales to a crawl and bad publicity to every sonos forum out there.  Just in time holiday gift giving.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have approximately $4400 worth of speakers in my house and several computers in the house.
It’s not very practical to use android controller.
I would honestly like to know when we can expect a fix/update to volume problem to version 14.18 of windows desktop contoller.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just adding a ‘me too’ to this issue. Removing the device then regrouping resolves. Temporarily. Looking forward to the fix!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Of course this is a nagging problem. But how does the fact that you own 4400 dollars worth of speakers come in to play? Does this make it somehow worse compared  to someone owning only a 100 dollar speaker? Does this entitle you to a better or earlier solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Does this make it somehow worse compared  to someone owning only a 100 dollar speaker? Does this entitle you to a better or earlier solution?

Yes because someone with a 100 dollar speaker doesn't have the problem? 😁

Isn't the issue related to group volume?

Just adding a ‘me too’ to this issue. Removing the device then regrouping resolves. Temporarily. Looking forward to the fix!

What does it means to “removing the device” ?

The volume control is broken for the group, do I have to reset all my devices to remove from the network and then reconfigure it all ?

I’d read that as ‘removing the device from the group, then re-adding it to the group’, rather than anything more invasive, such as a non-recommended factory reset. 

I’m using the “Phonos Universal for Sonos” app in the Microsoft store for now.  The grouped volume controls work correctly*.  Although the app has no setup features, it has all the needed Sonos control elements.

*The icon for the grouped volume controls is a bit wonky to find.  It is not next to the main volume control.  See second icon from the bottom right that looks like a list icon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Sonos makes some outstanding products (we have 18 spread all over the home).  We LOVE our Move units, but there’s nothing that causes more grief around here than UPDATES that BREAK or DOWNGRADE the Sonos experience.  Then the LONG DEAD silence that the team hides behind on WHEN OH WHEN they are going to fix these constant interruptions, just causes even more erosion in our view of the entire Sonos ecosystem!  

Can’t control the most common function in Sonos - Volume?  WTH?

Zones now falling out of sync when NOTHING else system-wide has changed… EXCEPT the UPDATE? 

Why does it seem that many of these major updates are 1 step forward and 2 back?  

Please Sonos, we know you're busy, but please oh please VET these updates before you ruin or music playing experience. 

Userlevel 1

How long does it take to fix a problem with such an essential function?

About 2 weeks ago, Youtube updated their interface, and it created an error that for some people the page would forget that you were logged in, forcing users to sign in over and over again. I went to their forum, about 50 people had complained with the same issue.

Roughly 2 hours later, Youtube had fixed it.

Here we are at Sonos, where people can not adjust the volume of their system since 3+ weeks. How much more basic of a feature is there to an audio system costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Of course this is a nagging problem. But how does the fact that you own 4400 dollars worth of speakers come in to play? Does this make it somehow worse compared  to someone owning only a 100 dollar speaker? Does this entitle you to a better or earlier solution?

Of course not. Just trying to stimulate Sonos to do a fix.

The very same problem here. Group volume control not behaving as it should. Kind of the core feature of the system right after pressing play… Disappointed in Sonos process to communicate to its customers as well as their R&D to foremost prevent these and eventually to get it quickly fixed.

Userlevel 2

Sonos just release an update today 11/15/2022. Update Version 14.19 / Build: 70335070 appears to have fixed this problem for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Sonos just release an update today 11/15/2022. Update Version 14.19 / Build: 70335070 appears to have fixed this problem for me.

It has for me as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes. Looking good

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just downloaded the update and it’s working for me. 😁

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

That fixed the volume control, yet my home, and some friends are still experiencing the progressive syncing issue where after re-grouping zones, some start to get out of sync over an hour or so.  This ONLY Happened after 14.18 and the escalation team has acknowledged it as such. 

Very happy we can control volume again, but please fix the syncing issue otherwise the promise of “Whole House” listening experience is kind of shot. 

Yes, two different issues, one mostly a display/control issue, the other more likely deeper in the Sonos playback and synchronization software, which probably needs a lot more time to track down, fix, test, and finally release. I certainly hope that you and your friends have sent in a diagnostic submission, and called Sonos support about it. I would expect the more hard data from diagnostics that they have, the quicker they can determine what the issue is, and fix it, get it tested, and release it. 

Unfortunately, as they’ve explained in the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, they just don’t have the ability to read each diagnostic, unless you contact them directly. 

I feel for you and your friends, though, and hope Sonos can get a fix out as soon as feasible. I rarely group rooms at this point in time, so I’ve not run in to this bug myself, but can well imagine it’s annoying as the dickens. 

Thank GOD they finally fixed this!!!  Shame on SONOS for not getting it fixed sooner.  This was ridiculous when a 3rd party app had it right (phonos universal)  And the OEM could not get it corrected.  Shame on you SONOS!!!  Was going to buy a pair of 5’s for a Basement setup.  But NOPE; Going with a Regular AMP and speakers now with a Cheap competitor controller that Is NOT SONOS.   Too much money spent on SONOS without support.  DUH  Listen to your CUSTOMER BASE.  Bring back full support from the PC APP.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Yes, Bruce, sent diag multiple times regarding the zone syncing issue and according to the good folks with the Escalation Team, dev is aware of the problem.  It’s just so irritating when updates are NOT vetted properly and sent out to the very people that ultimately help this company exist (paying loyal customers).  With many of these updates, they fix one thing and break two.  We’re just tired of this nonsense.  TEST TEST TEST before your release SONOS!