Question

YouTube Music "crashes" Sonos AMP.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I just started using YouTube music and I am getting this error “YouTube Music: Unable to play the selected item.”  It has happened twice so far, both times on a song that I uploaded (different songs).  One time I was just sliding the progress meter to fast forward within the track.

It hosed my Sonos AMP, which became unresposive - could not cause it to play anything from the controller.  One time I had to reboot it, the other time I reset my controller and it came back.

I am using the S1 controller on Windows 10.  My system is on 11.2.2. I have not seen this behavior on Spotify or Google Play Music.

Any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, Thank you for reaching out. Thanks for bringing this up, and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about your Youtube Music on that crashes on the Sonos App. I'll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Just had this happen again.  Had to reboot the AMP.  It is named “Office”.

Here is the diagnostic, which I generated after rebooting: 1758663321

Here is the error log: 

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - 10:43 AM Central Time
Unable to play the selected item.

Note that this has only happened so far with the AMP and Youtube Music.  Other streaming services work fine and my Internet is solid.  

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking on the diagnostic report, It shows Interference with the Sonos products. But everything else is fine. You may check this link on Reducing Wireless interference in Sonos. Have you tried to remove and read the Youtube Music on the Sonos app and check if that will work? if it doesn’t then we will check further. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sorry, but the wireless interference answer does not make a lot of sense.  This problem never happened before I started using Youtube music and only happens on Youtube music.  All other services work fine and have been working fine for months.  The last time someone told me I had wireless interface issues, the real problem turned out to be a bad speaker that was dropping out because it was faulty.  So I have to be skeptical.  

I will try removing and readding the Youtube service though, so that's for that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update. I understand where you're coming from. If after removing and reading the Youtube Music service and it still doesn't work, Please let us know so we can further assist. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok, the AMP crashed again.  I have noticed that this only seems to happen:

1. On Youtube music
  2. When I am playing songs that I uploaded

Streaming from the generic Youtube music library has not caused an issue yet.  I did that all day yesterday with zero problems.

Again, my AMP disappeared from the controller and did not come back until I rebooted it.  What happened is this - I was streaming a song from my uploaded collection, paused it for 10 minutes, came back and unpaused it, and the AMP was unresponsive.  I have reproduced this issue several times.

I think this is enough for Sonos engineers to look into.  What are the next steps?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Happened again - this time I paused the music for 5 minutes to take a call, it restarted playing fine, then the AMP crashed about 10 minutes later on a different song.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

FYI, I just spent over an hour on hold then talking to customer service about this issue.  Then the call dropped.  I do not have time to do this again - I have to get back to work.

According to the tech, this seems like a new issue between Sonos and YouTube music, and AMP.  I cannot get the issue to reproduce on a play1 so far.

Any advice?  How do I escalate this issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern, I’ll have this issue checked with the Sonos phone support agent who handled the case, and ask If they can give a followup to this concern, I’ll ask as well if is there any Case number that was provided during the phone interaction, It would help us to coordinate with the support team who assisted you. I apologize for what happened and we’ll do our best to get this issue addressed to the best that we can.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi, the agent called me back and he’s working the issue.  So no worries for now.  

In other news, it does seem to be an isolated issue with AMP, Youtube Music, and playing from my personal uploaded collection.  I can crash the AMP at will.

If I play on a different speaker the issue is fine and so far grouping the AMP with another speaker has avoided the crash.  Fingers crossed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok, and now he put me on hold and has not come back.  I don’t have any more time to deal with this issue right now.  You guys have my contact info so please email or call when you have anything figured out.  Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update. I'm glad that the agent called you back as this is our Standard operating procedure. Please let us know how it goes and please feel free to share what fixed the problem so other members in the community would know especially the ones who have the same issue and may also be looking for answers here in the community.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok, here is my assessment after experimenting for quite a while yesterday:

In short, the following combination is bad:

1. The new AMP speaker
  2. YouTube Music streaming
  3. Songs that you have uploaded to your library (not the regular songs that YTM supplies)

Trying to do this will cause the AMP to crash hard.  I can reproduce it at will. My Play1 does not crash in a similar environment.

A workaround is to group the AMP with another node.  Occasionally I get weird behavior but it is useable so far and has not yet crashed.  When the AMP crashes, you have to manually power cycle it to recover. 

Opinion: while this issue may be partially the fault of YouTube, there is no planet on which a Sonos node crashing due to unexpected input is acceptable behavior.  This is DEFINITELY a major bug on the Sonos AMP.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

One more thing - even with this setup (grouping), pausing songs, fast forwarding, or rewinding, will occasionally result in error and the rest of the song being skipped.  But no crashes so far.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update and the information that you provided, I’ll ask a fresh diagnostics from you and submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue or if there's any changes or observations on this issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This is still an issue.  I’ve tried all suggestions and have characterized the problem very specifically.  I’m not sure what else I can do.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report.  upon checking, the same issue was found, Interference on the Sonos products and Audio dropouts. since we have followed all possible troubleshooting steps and still it’s not working properly, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance, tell them that you’ve done all the possible troubleshooting steps, so they can check If they can have the issue escalated with a higher tier of support or any options that they can give.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sorry, I spent 2 hours on the phone with support last week, the call got dropped and I do not have time to mess around.  My system works, though suboptimally and I’m not happy.  I have provided as much information as I can about what causes this problem that I can easily reproduce.  I am not going to debug these products any more.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thanks for the update. I really apologize for what happened. As much as I’ve wanted to assist further, the next course of action would be contacting our phone support team for further assistance. 

You're always welcome here.

I am having the exact issue. Fast forwarding through music uploaded to youtube music crashes Sonos when initiated through iPhone or PC. The device becomes unresponsive and must be unplugged. I have likely caused irreversible damage to my overpriced and not worth the cost Sonos play five by incessantly unplugging it. Why should I have to unplug the device non-stop in order to make use of this 600 dollar piece of trash? I will be needing a refund immediately. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @nooooooo, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you have the same issue on Youtube Music on your Sonos system. I want to ask questions to check further on this issue. 

• When did it start happening?
  • Are there any changes made on the settings on Youtube music and the Sonos App before the issue occurred?
  • Does it only happen on Youtube Music? How about other Music Service?
  • Are there any system updates available on the Sonos App? 

Answers to those questions will help us check what could be causing the issue. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.