Answered

Wireless Setup

Badge

I was given instructions yesterday on how to do a wireless setup since my bridge stopped working.  I followed the prompts on the app but when I entered the password for Netgear 53 it said it was not correct.  I know this is the correct password so I tried again.  The 3rd time I decided to change my Netgear password but it is still saying incorrect password.  

Do I need to call Sonos?  I did yesterday and the rep was not knowledgeable at all.  Is there a trick to getting through to someone who can really help me?  They had great customer service when they were a new company.  Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Kumar 9 July 2021, 00:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

A few people have had this issue, can you plug another speaker in to a LAN cable from the router as short term measure?.

Any Sonos speaker with LAN port can double up as a bridge to put system into SonosNet.

Just to be clear,  Sonos needs your WiFi password, not the admin password needed to change configurations on your router.  You probably get that, but most people refer to it as ‘WiFi password’ rather than a password to their specific router brand.

Badge

I only have one speaker and I plugged the router into it.  I am very ignorant when it comes to all this stuff, I don’t even know what LAN means.  Does this mean I just need to go ahead and replace my bridge with boost?  Now I’m afraid if I do get the boost I won’t be able to set it up without problems, and customer service won’t be able to help judging on the call I made to them yesterday.  But it makes me feel a tiny bit better that other people have had this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If you've plugged the speaker directly into to the router then you shouldn't need a password?.

If you've plugged the speaker directly into to the router then you shouldn't need a password?.

Right.  If you’re doing that, then no WiFi password, and no Boost or Bridge needed.

LAN = Local Area Network

Badge

But I want to be able to move the speaker to where I listen, and the router is in an office type area in my condo.  I was told to set up wireless so I can do this.  

Correct. But wiring it (temporarily) to the router allows the controller to communicate directly with the Sonos system on the speaker, so you can then make any network (SSID and password, etc) changes, and subsequently remove the ethernet cable, and move the speaker to where ever you want it placed. 

Fyi: ssid is the name of your wifi network and has to be entered in the app for the 5 to know which wifi network it has to join. And then the password needed for any new device to join your network is to be entered in the app.

Badge

Kumar - I entered SSID and then the password but it still says incorrect.  Could it be that since I have an older Android 7 that it’s not supported?  

No. Look up the network in the settings part of the android device. You should see the ssid there. And the password, though that may be hidden. The same two things are what the 5 unit needs to know for it to join the wifi network in the way the android device has.

Badge

In settings I clicked on Connections and then mobile networks.  I then clicked on access point names and it shows Verizon internet which shows APN and then VZWINTERNET.  Are these the two things that I need to enter?

I have a later Android: mine shows settings, network and internet, wifi...click on wifi and I see the ssid..

When was the last time you added any device to your home wifi? The same information would have been used, that the 5 unit needs.

And ssid would be the name you gave to your WiFi network.

Click the wifi indicator on your computer and you will see the ssid it is connected to. Click that and there may be a way to see the password it is using. Sonos is to be fed those two...

Note that both are case sensitive and letters in capital for the ssid and password have to be entered as such...

Badge

On the computer it says my ssid is Netgear53.  It doesn’t show the password but I wrote it down and that is what I entered and got password incorrect twice.  

It maybe that you have not changed the default name and password that came with the router. On the body of the router, see if you can find ssid and password written. If the default password has not been changed, using that written on the router body will work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/233159/how-to-find-your-wi-fi-password/

Badge

I did change the default password in 2019.  I got my paperwork out and it says ssid NETGEAR53 and the password I changed it to.  I think I’m just going to order the boost and hope that I can connect it.  I really appreciate your patience with me!  I don’t want to waste anymore of your time.  I called Sonos customer service again and he was just going to have me do the same thing I’ve been doing.  He sounded very unsure...I remember when I called Sonos years ago you could tell the reps knew their stuff and the call wouldn’t take hours.  

No trouble; I suggest one last attempt after upgrading the android. And the upgrade may be necessary anyway to get the boost added.

Badge

What do you mean by upgrade?

Badge

Kumar

OMG on a whim I decided to try the default password and that worked!  I even wrote down that I changed this password in 2019 but at some point it must have defaulted back to the factory password.  Thank you so much for your help.  You saved me from thinking I had to buy the Boost to replace the bridge for my system to work again.   

Paula  

Excellent...enjoy the music again!

What do you mean by upgrade?

Paula, I meant upgrade the handheld Android device to a later version of Android software if it allows you to do that. This may become necessary to allow the Sonos controller app to work going ahead. On the other hand, if you resist the updating of the Sonos app - which I believe you can do without - things may keep working fine.