Answered

Wired system cuts out

I’ve seen a few responses on this that say move your system closer, but this is the system set up that I have had for over three years now and the issue just started about 6 months ago. My Connect Amps are connected via Ethernet to wired speakers. While playing they just “cut out” and then will start up again. Anyway to do a hard reset on the Connect Amps? I have sent diagnostics to Sonos this afternoon as well. Just curious if others have had this issue / have resolved this issue. Relocating not a solution given where all the speaker wire for the home is located.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 2 March 2024, 21:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

There is no way to do a “hard reset” in the sense you are most likely referring to. In Sonos-speak a hard reset is a factory reset which would erase any information that would have been useful in the diagnostic. 

You can perform a soft reset by just unplugging the offending Sonos product (or products) and then rebooting your router. After the router returns plug in your Sonos product to see if the issue has been corrected.

Also after submitting the diagnostic and placing the reference ID in a post you need to call Sonos Tech support to discuss the findings.

As your issue started 6 months ago what changes might you have made to your network? Have you checked your router for a firmware update assuming you own your network gear.

If you are leasing your network gear from your ISP you should inform them of the issue. They may have pushed and update that may be the cause or the pushed update didn’t register with your gear due to a glitch on their end.

Thanks - will give the upgrade to the router first (to check on that) as I have done the unplug / replug steps in the past.

The plug / unplug thing works best if the router is rebooted while the Sonos are unplugged. Not always effective if you don’t power down the Sonos devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What hardware version are your Connect Amps?

Are you on S1 or S2 firmware?

What is the source of your music?

S2 firmware on all devices; mostly use Apple and Pandora but sometimes Sonos, iHeart, Audacy and Audible - happens on each.

My wired speakers intermittently cut out. This began several months ago. I have had my system for over 12 years. This is a recent issue and I have no problem with router or internet. The wired speakers cut out but my soundbar doesn’t when playing the same thing in different rooms. Is the amp just slowly dying?

It’s possible. It’s also possible that your router is failing, or just mixed up, perhaps due to power surges. There are several things to try. First, and easiest, is to power down your Sonos devices, and then, while they’re powered off, reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to fully load up, then plug back in the Sonos devices. You’d probably want to let them boot up a couple of minutes before you test to see if it helped. This process forces a reload of both the operating systems of the router and the Sonos, and can sometimes ‘fix’ a problem. 

Slightly more challenging is to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

It is not a router or internet issue.  The wireless speakers will continue to play uninterrupted but any wired speaker cuts out.  I will submit a diagnostic when it happens. It happens fairly frequently.

Userlevel 7

@MikeZZTop

Are you speaking of speakers wired to a Sonos Connect:Amp (discontinued) or its replacement the Sonos Amp? I ask to make sure we understand you correctly as wired speakers can also refer to Sonos speakers that are wired to a router via an Ethernet cable.