Answered

Will a Sonos Boost act as a network switch?

• 18 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello,

I’m about to lose one of the 4 ports on the back of my (BT SmartHub2) Router (it’s the LAN port and I’m about to get FTTP).

I note that the Sonos Boost that I have has 2 Ethernet ports. It is currently, of course, hard-wired to one of the ports on the Router.

Can I therefore plug another of my devices, that is currently also hardwired into the Router, into the unused port on the Boost and it will act as a switch to route that device’s traffic to/from the Router.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 18 December 2022, 14:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I seem to remember the port is only 100Mb, but you could try. On the other hand, five port switches are not very expensive……

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks @106rallye 

100MB will be fine for the device I have in mind.

As it happens I do have a 5-port switch but there is not much space to put it and it needs another power socket so if I can use the port on the back of the Boost that saves a lot of space and sockets!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I was going to suggest a 5 port switch too, they are pretty small and low power but the 8 port look to be the best buy. 

Under $20: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A121WN6

If the Boost option doesn't work keep this option in mind. Much cheaper than the $99 Boost that appears to be on the way out, Last Chance here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/boost

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ah @Stanley_4 if only we could get those prices in the UK ;-)

I have got a small 8-port switch, I’m just hoping to avoid having to use it for the sake of one device. 

I believe the device I want to connect via the Boost connects at 10Mb so not a lot of traffic.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Final update - connected a Hive Hub via the Boost and everything working OK 😊