Skip to main content
Answered

Whole system lost

• 14 July 2022
  • 8 replies

What is going on?? My Sonos system has suddenly stopped being able to see any of my speakers on the network. I have run through the app tools to get back up and running. I have deleted the app, started again, turned off all speakers, re-booted, turned off and re-booted my Wifi (which works perfectly with everything else). Also, when I run the tools to find the system again, the app doesn’t seem to see the actual network that I use! (Trust me there is nothing wrong with my wifi hub). What is going on? I have a beam gen 2, a play 5, two Sonos ones, a move and 2 roams in the house!!! Actually, what makes it worse is that it can pick up one speaker, and that is one of the roams only! From a system that I thought was seamless I am absolutely so frustrated by this! Any help please?

Sure sounds like some sort of network issue, but not enough detail to be sure. As a temporary test, what happens when you wire a single Sonos device to your router with an Ethernet cable? Wait five minutes before checking, of course.

It would be helpful to know details about your network, such as router make and model, channel frequency, and what actual Sonos devices you have. That information would give the community a start, you could also submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos directly, they could look at the hard data from that one connected speaker, and probably give you a more accurate analysis.

Thanks for the reply Bruce.

I am using a Virgin Media hub 4 which works like a dream. I think it sends out both 2.4 and 5.0 ghz however I am not sure which the speakers normally use? 
The weird thing is that the app is now actually picking up the Roam, and the Move (both portable) which seems strange, but not my Ones, play five or beam?

What would you expect might happen if I connected one of the other speakers with an Ethernet cable?

I will try this, but it’s been a long day, so might try this tomorrow now.

Thanks

I am using a Virgin Media hub 4 which works like a dream. I think it sends out both 2.4 and 5.0 ghz however I am not sure which the speakers normally use? 
The weird thing is that the app is now actually picking up the Roam, and the Move (both portable) which seems strange, but not my Ones, play five or beam?

What would you expect might happen if I connected one of the other speakers with an Ethernet cable?

Thanks

Have you either reset the router, or has it perhaps been updated recently to use WPA3 wifi security only. (just as a guess?) - if so, then switch it back to use either "WPA3/WPA2 AES"  (or just WPA2 AES/TKIP security) and see if that works for you… also check that WiFi isolation is not enabled and that any Guest  WiFi is switched off. 

Also switch off any other wireless AP’s until you get the system back online.

I am assuming you also have not factory reset any of your Sonos devices.

FYI: Wiring one Sonos device would switch all non-portable Sonos products to use their SonosNet connection, sometimes called ‘Wired Mode’ - the difference is outlined in this Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

I’d expect that if you were to wire one speaker to your router, all of the speakers would then connect to the SonosNet mesh, and all be seen. That would suggest (not prove) that there is a network issue, not uncommon, it seems, with Virgin media hubs, from what I read here, rather than a Sonos issue, and give us one more piece of data to extrapolate from. 

The key thing to diagnosing issues is elimination of variables, especially when we in the community have no access to the diagnostics that are submitted. 

Thanks

Have you either reset the router, or has it perhaps been updated recently to use WPA3 wifi security only. (just as a guess?) - if so, then switch it back to use either "WPA3/WPA2 AES"  (or just WPA2 AES/TKIP security) and see if that works for you… also check that WiFi isolation is not enabled and that any Guest  WiFi is switched off. 

Also switch off any other wireless AP’s until you get the system back online.

I am assuming you also have not factory reset any of your Sonos devices.

FYI: Wiring one Sonos device would switch all non-portable Sonos products to use their SonosNet connection, sometimes called ‘Wired Mode’ - the difference is outlined in this Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

Thanks Ken

I have not reset the router to factory settings, (just rebooted it), however I have no clue if it has updated itself, so I will test your ideas. Also, I have not factory set any of my devices. 
I appreciate the advise and will report back in due course.

Cheers

I’d expect that if you were to wire one speaker to your router, all of the speakers would then connect to the SonosNet mesh, and all be seen. That would suggest (not prove) that there is a network issue, not uncommon, it seems, with Virgin media hubs, from what I read here, rather than a Sonos issue, and give us one more piece of data to extrapolate from. 

The key thing to diagnosing issues is elimination of variables, especially when we in the community have no access to the diagnostics that are submitted. 

Ok thanks

The thing is that I have been building, and using my Sonos system for a good few years now, and the virgin hubs have never been an issue. Having said that, I was on my last hub for most of that time, and have only had this newer one for a couple of months. (However it has all been seamless in those months).

I will do some testing and let you know.

Cheers

I assure you, it’s not you personally that we’re cautioning against at all. Virgin has a history on this forum for being sometimes challenging, and as many router companies do, send out “updates” to the firmware without notifying you. 

I’ve occasionally had similar issues with other router/modem companies, although my current NetGear router seems to require me to do the updates, which is what I prefer. Wish Vizio (TV) and Spectrum (ISP/modem) felt the same way. Vizio has borked my TV output at least once due to an OS update that they didn’t effectively notify me about. Took me about three days to figure out what had happened. 

Thank you both.

It was indeed a strange network issue.

For some reason my hub had started transmitting the original wifi network name, as well as the one that I had changed it to when I had set it up. So most of my tech carried on as normal where as the speakers must have been picking up the factory set wifi name? 

I have now managed to get rid of that wifi name again and get everything back to as it was.

I can’t get my head around it really, but I just hope that it is a one off. Like I say I have had virgin hubs for years with no issues, but this virgin hub 4 has only been installed for a few weeks.

Thanks again for the advice.