Volume increments of 5 after iOS update

• 21 September 2022
  • 30 replies

Has anyone else run into an issue with the volume increments being in increments of 5? I’m assuming this is because of a recent update to the iOS app (I noticed it when the app version was 14.15 and after having updated to iOS 16) because before I could control my volume just fine. Now, when I go into the Sonos app and tap the volume bar, it rounds to the closest increment of 5. For example, setting to 16 or 17 moves it back down to 15 and setting to 19 moves it up to 20. Trying to set the volume with grouped speakers also is basically impossible as a result since it tries to find a good spot for all the volumes. I noticed some people on Reddit reported this as well. Anyone else on this forum notice this and is there a bug fix planned? 

Also as a side note, how does the Sonos app not have a bug reporting feature? Why do I have to create a forum account to report an issue, it should be possible in the app itself

30 replies

Userlevel 7

I have not experienced any change to the volume increments due to updates. Works as it did previously.

The only time I have encountered a change was when I replaced a Samsung TV with LG. The Samsung used increments of 4, LG 2.

Re: side note, you don’t have to create a forum account to report an issue. The app directs you to Sonos Customer Care where you can raise a chat with Sonos Support or telephone them to raise an issue. This forum is a user community, therefore, not the best or quickest way to get support direct from Sonos.

Thanks for letting me know about chatting with support. Guess I missed that link before. Tried starting a session but no reps available so will have to try again tomorrow

I’d certainly be tempted to rerun the ‘training’ process in Sonos. Much like @Mr. T, I’ve not seen any changes with the latest release, although I use Vizio TVs, and not LG. 

@isattar101 Did you ever find the fix for this? Its happening to me too.

SAME thing here. volume 1,2 goes down to 0, 4,5 goes up to 5

I have an iPad running iPadOS 15.7 and an iPhone XR running iOS 16.0.3 and I’m not seeing the issue .. if I set volume 4, 18, 32 etc; it stays at that precise volume.

Here’s a thought…

Is there another volume control perhaps in the mix here? By that I mean is the Sonos speaker in focus/being-controlled by the Sonos App, also connected to either Apple Airplay2, Spotify ‘Connect’ or Bluetooth for example? .. If it is, then perhaps control the volume either via Spotify or the Airplay volume slider etc. instead, or of course disconnect the speaker from those things and then try the Sonos volume slider whilst playing a direct in-built audio source via the Sonos App instead.

I’m having major issues with volume control when using Spotify on iOS16.. here’s what I posted on the Apple forum site 

“A recent issue has developed where so long as the Spotify app is open/running on my phone and I'm streaming music to our Sonos speakers, then if you try and change the volume on the speakers, or indeed on the Sonos app, it won't stay that way.

It will instantly revert back to whatever volume has been set on the Spotify app.

I have found a post on Reddit regarding this, and a user has kindly provided a useful screen recording showing the issue in action but I'm of course unable to add the link here as it won't let me...

I've tried raising the issue with Apple over Twitter, but they weren't much help and didn't even know that Sonos speakers (ok except the portable ones) are wifi and not bluetooth. I don't know if it's an Apple, Spotify or Sonos issue? I can't see this getting resolved until one party owns up?”

Can anyone else relate to these issues?

@daniel_ley,

I’ve seen such issues briefly mentioned before, where there are various Apps involved in the mix with ‘competing’ volume-slider controls that may have different audio operating granularity ‘curves’ (for want of a better description) attached to those slider controls - So as an example, where the user is using either Airplay, or perhaps Spotify ‘Connect’ audio links to play their chosen audio to 3rd-party speakers, like Sonos, and the user then neither uses Airplay or the Spotify volume control, but instead decides to control the 3rd-party playing audio from within the Sonos App instead. 

In most cases the answer (for me, at least) seems to be, if starting the audio playback using a Spotify ‘Connect’ connection, then it’s probably best to use the Spotify App volume control. Same goes for Airplay and iOS.

If playing the audio however from services installed in the Sonos App, then use the Sonos App volume controls, because its possibly the case that the volume curves attached to each Apps volume slider-control may vary …and it’s probably the case that "never the twain shall meet” across all Apps, particularly as it’s the case that many other brands of speakers (with different volume curves) may use Airplay (for example) and so operate volume-wise entirely differently to a Sonos speaker. So the volume sliders may not match in their sliding-scale ‘granularity’ etc.

So those are my thoughts on the situation and that you’re perhaps encountering issues with the volume controls in Sonos whilst actually playing the audio from a different App, like Spotify, or Apple Music etc.

Yup definitely a problem but not with iOS 16.  iOS 15 is doing it too.  Must be in the 14.x.x updates (14.18.1 is doing it).  Trying to use the volume slider is causing erratic adjustments.  Touching the volume bar works like normal.  I’ll have to submit a technical support ticket. 

Yup definitely a problem but not with iOS 16.  iOS 15 is doing it too.  Must be in the 14.x.x updates (14.18.1 is doing it).  Trying to use the volume slider is causing erratic adjustments.  Touching the volume bar works like normal.  I’ll have to submit a technical support ticket. 

I’m not seeing the issue on my iPhone XR (iOS 16.1 - out today), but anyhow here’s a link to report the issue: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I’m not seeing the issue on my iPhone XR (iOS 16.1 - out today), but anyhow here’s a link to report the issue: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Unfortunately the Sonos tech I talked to said the same thing.  The next step is to demonstrate the issue.  He did ask if I had reinstalled the app.  In a way I did as it’s a new device.  Plus I’m seeing it on an old device.   BUT, due diligence, I restored the new device from iCloud.  Meaning there could be app data cached that an actual reinstall of the app may flush out.  So that may be the next step. 

@atombarrels 

My S2 App volume controls all operate smoothly. It’s easy to demonstrate the issue using a screen-capture video or animated gif. I’ve just quickly made a .gif and attached it to this post.

The gif is looping by the way so you may see it jump as the animation restarts, but hopefully you can see the volume sliders are all working fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

The gif is looping by the way so you may see it jump as the animation restarts, but hopefully you can see the volume sliders are all working fine.

I can also say the volume slider works fine. However , like others have said in different forums, if you just touch the “dot” on the slider bar, it jumps to the left. It’s a pain in the ass. Volume goes down automatically every time.

I can also say the volume slider works fine. However , like others have said in different forums, if you just touch the “dot” on the slider bar, it jumps to the left. It’s a pain in the ass. Volume goes down automatically every time.

You’ve got it!  That’s the bug.  You touch the dot and volume jumps down around 5%.  The room sliders also eventually auto hide even if you are dragging the dot around. 

Due diligence, I reinstalled the app and there is no change.

Ken, not sure if I can show this in a gif…  I could try but not tonight!  I appreciate your help👍

That’s odd then, I’m not seeing it on my iPhone XR or iPad Pro, both are running iOS/iPadOS 16.1 and the S2 App is version 14.18.1 build 70134180, despite my sausage fingers🤔? I’ve tried clicking on the slider bar dot and can’t get it to jump left or right? I will keep trying it.

That’s odd then, I’m not seeing it on my iPhone XR or iPad Pro, both are running iOS/iPadOS 16.1 and the S2 App is version 14.18.1 build 70134180, despite my sausage fingers🤔? I’ve tried clicking on the slider bar dot and can’t get it to jump left or right? I will keep trying it.

Thanks for the update Ken.  It’s definitely baffling.  I just did a quick dive on the resolutions of the 6.1” screens and had to stop:)  I don’t even want to speculate that it’s a scaling issue.  I’ll plug away at this after work.  Sonos wants to do some kind of video or something as a demo similar to your gif. 

Have an update from Sonos.  They are aware of the issue and fixing it as we speak👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thought this volume slider issue would have have been an easy fix, but it’s still an issue and a pita.

Updated iOS Sonos app, seems fixed

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What issue?

What issue?

The new Sonos app fixed the issue of moving the dot to adjust volume moved in 5% increments. It is now more controllable,

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What issue?

The new Sonos app fixed the issue of moving the dot to adjust volume moved in 5% increments. It is now more controllable,

I still have the issue of the dot jumping to the left each time it’s touched to adjust the volume. Pain in the A**.

What issue?

I still have the issue of the dot jumping to the left each time it’s touched to adjust the volume. Pain in the A**.

You are right. Tonight the problem was back. Last night not only did I update the app version but I was in and out of each system setting, it must have been something there. Tried the same thing again of going in and out of each setting and checking sound, didn’t seem to be getting anywhere then after a few more settings hopping the physical volume buttons on my phone no longer worked and the dot volume slider stopped rounding to the nearest 5%. Not sure what action changed the behavior so will have to wait for problem to reoccur and see if I can figure it out. Either way, proper fix still needed. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What issue?

You are right. Tonight the problem was back. Last night not only did I update the app version but I was in and out of each system setting, it must have been something there. Tried the same thing again of going in and out of each setting and checking sound, didn’t seem to be getting anywhere then after a few more settings hopping the physical volume buttons on my phone no longer worked and the dot volume slider stopped rounding to the nearest 5%. Not sure what action changed the behavior so will have to wait for problem to reoccur and see if I can figure it out. Either way, proper fix still needed. 

I also had updated the app with wishful thinking…seem like this would be an easy fix . I wonder now what the update was for as I don’t see any change.