Answered

Volume for Amp seems low

• 21 August 2022
  • 2 replies

We have one of our Sonos Amp’s connected to outside speakers and it seems that the volume has to be over 50 (on the iPhone app) in order to hear any music. But the rest of our amps and speakers don’t go much over 20ish and have good sound. Do you think its a problem with the amp? or the speakers? any suggestions...

icon

Best answer by ratty 21 August 2022, 23:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

This seems perfectly normal. 

All things being equal, outside speakers have fewer reflective surfaces to help reinforce the sound, so the volume level in the corresponding Amp will need to be set higher.

Of course if the outside passive speakers are less sensitive than the inside ones that will also mean that more power is required.

If you’re in any doubt, swap the Amps over between the inside and outside zones. 

I am surprised that you get adequate sound levels indoors at 20; even granting that Sonos Amp is doubly powerful compared to my Connect Amps, but double the power translates to about a 20% increase in sound levels. That said, my Connect Amps in indoor spaces have to run in excess of 50-60 to get good sound levels, though neither ever has to go to more than 90 for events like parties. Indoors you probably have speakers that are very efficient and/or are placed closed to the listening areas by virtue of which 20 gives you adequate sound.

Outdoors therefore, over what has been suggested, as long as you get adequate sound levels with the speaker slider below 85-90, and the amp is in a well ventilated place, there is nothing to worry about. If sound levels are inadequate at those settings, the solution is more efficient speakers, or speakers located closer to the listening areas.