Victrola onyx drop out issues

• 30 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, looking for some advice. I’ve a Sonos system with three play 1s in various rooms, a home theatre surround sound with a beam, sun, and two play 1s. They are all on a sonosnet (one of the play 1s is wired). I recently added an Onyx turntable and experience drops even with latency set to high. I’ve an orbi wifi mesh router. I’ve no dropouts when using streaming services (eg Apple Music) on my Sonos system. 

should I drop the sonosnet? Or get a bridge (but not sure the Victrola can connect to a Sonos network). Or do I need to upgrade my mesh network (it’s about 7 years old orbi system). 

thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

DO NOT get a Bridge, they are old, obsolete and prone to frustrating failures. The Boost is the modern (but being discontinued) option for a dedicated wired connection or wireless range extender.

You might mess with your wireless and try to get the turntable connected to the central hub instead of one of the remotes. Maybe even wire the turntable to the hub, at least for troubleshooting purposes.

Userlevel 2

Hi - I am having the similar issue. Pretty much same config, hard-wired Sonos Amp, Port, bunch of Sonos speakers.  I have an EERO 6 as a hub and 3 hard wired EERO 6 APs. My network is fast, rock solid and Sonos has confirmed I am NOT having any Sonos issues.  Make sure you have the latest update from Victrola - I am on 0.18.59.0 - if you are not getting it unplug the turntable and plug it back in.  I have tried all the settings and still get drop outs.  It comes back, eventually, but not experiencing any of it with my streaming services.  I know Victrola are working the stability issues but not sure how this gets “Sonos approved” and a number of people having issues in real life setups.  The solution offered is to “attach via Ethernet” (which I have not done)...this completely defeats the reason why I bought this turntable. A little disappointing - but willing to give them time to figure it out.

Userlevel 2

Since my posting above, I have received a new turntable unit from Victrola.  They thought the behavior of the turntable warranted a replacement.  I still had all the same issue with the replacement - music drop on both wireless and ethernet.  So, I removed the system from SonosNet. and put Sonos on the home Wi-Fi.  Well well, if the system is not ROCK solid now on both ethernet and wireless!  I have been playing albums for 2 days now since the change - not a skip or drop that I can detect!  I moved the Sonos system to SonosNet when I had Google Wi-Fi APs.  I have changed that Google system to EERO 6s and I have much greater performance and coverage so in my case SonosNet not required.  Does not solve the issue if you need to be on SonosNet.  I suspect the issue is with SonosNet and the EERO Mesh.