Answered

‘Unable to connect to Sonos’when moving between properties

• 8 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

My parents property has a Sonos network, I have noticed that when I go to their house, use their wifi, then return home I cannot connect to my home Sonos. I am ‘on’ their Sonos system too (I.e. I can control their system when I am there using my phone and their wifi). 

However, regardless of whether or not I control their system while there, when I return back home and try to use my system the app simply displays the ‘Unable to connect…Let’s fix it’ error. I run through the steps, it tells me ‘We’ve found multiple systems’ (mine and my parents). The only option from here is turn it all off and on again - annoying.

my wife’s phone / iPad that hasn’t been to my parents house does not have the issue, connects to our home system fine.  I can also still see the speakers on AirPlay and play to them so I’m pretty sure it’s an app / iPhone issue?

I’ve tried to turn off ‘private wifi address’ on my iPhone as shown in a similar issue but this hasn’t worked.

it’s worth noting that overnight/after some time it seems to resolve itself but very frustrating when I return home and want to use Sonos app,

any ideas?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by John B 9 November 2022, 00:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The app really should connect to the local system without difficulty. 

You could try resetting the app in App Preferencez when you next come home,then 'Connect to Existimg System'.

Badge +1

thanks for the suggestion, I suppose that would work, but that would involve completely reconnecting.   I agree that it should work seamlessly, but I can’t work out why it isn’t 

Hi.  ‘Completely reconnectng’ only takes a few seconds and don’t you want to completely recnnnect?  Virtually nothing is lost as the app is just a remote control.  Can you explain what the problem is?  You may even find that having done it once, it may work fine after that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

John’s notes above are solid, I do this often myself when switching homes.

You could also try a Sonos app that doesn’t care what household you previously used eg SonoPhone.