Skip to main content

Two Connect Amps dated 1504. One works, the other doesn't

• 27 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I bought a house with two Connects, both dated 1504. Using S2, one of them connects seamlessly with Airplay, one does not. I've heard that 2015 is the year that certain compatibilities changed, perhaps even in April of ‘15. Is it possible that I have one device that's "modern," another that isn't? Or is there a different/better explanation? 

6 replies

Yes, thats a possibility  - just see if it will setup via the S1 App and if so, then check your Sonos Account online and it should show you if its gen1/gen2 .. The gen1 devices are S1 compatible only.

Thanks for reply. I’m looking at them now online, don’t see mention of gen1/gen2. (Button-wise, etc. they’re identical.) 

Oh, sorry. I see what you meant. No, S1 does not connect to system. So how do we explain why one of the Connects connects to Airplay and other doesn’t?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried finding the other one with the S1 app?

Userlevel 7

Oh, sorry. I see what you meant. No, S1 does not connect to system. So how do we explain why one of the Connects connects to Airplay and other doesn’t?

Do you see any of the devices in the S2 app or have you only ever used Airplay to play music and have never registered the devices against your Sonos account?

We cannot rule out hardware failure.

Are there other SONOS units besides these two? You should Factory Reset any units that came with the home, then set them up as new system, or add them to any units that you brought with you. In my opinion S2 is the best option going forward, unless there will be other S1 only units in the system. If you will have both S1 and S2 systems on the network. Power down the ‘other’ units while you setup each system.