Skip to main content
Answered

Turntable with multiple Ports

• 9 December 2023
  • 4 replies

I purchased a home recently and I'm trying to understand the existing setup and how I can integrate a turntable. There's a receiver that connects to multiple sets of speakers throughout the house and then there are 5 Sonos Ports, one for each zone.

If I connect a turntable to the input on one of the ports, will that allow me to play it across any zones like I can with the app? Or will I only get output to the zone controlled by the port I connect to?

Also, do I need an additional preamp or anything? I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You’ll need to install the Sonos app on your phone first. This acts as the controller for your system. 
Sonos has a feature called grouping. This enables the input at one device to play, fully synchronised, to all zones/rooms. 

Thanks for the response. I already have the app and it works great for other input sources (Pandora/Spotify/etc.). And to be clear, the speakers are _not_ Sonos speakers...does that impact anything? What I’m gathering from what you said is that I could connect the turntable to any port and it would effectively show up as an input source that I could group like any other?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The Port has a line-in, so your turntable will require a pre-amp out, or be connected to the port via a pre-amp. Other than that, it’s just a source - indeed, it can be the source to a different zone/room to that it’s physically connected to. 

Awesome, thank you very much!