Skip to main content

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can’t find an answer to the problem I have and following others solutions. I have a Technic 1200 mk2 and I have this connected via a preamp into a Sonos Connect:Amp, never had an issue, now I can’t use the Connect:Amp as its deemed to old, so I have bought a new cable to go into the back of my Sonos 5, all fine apart from the noticeable distorted hum in the background, I have moved the speakers more than two feet away as others have said but still there.

Any help much appreciated :) 

A hum is often an earthing problem. Do you have another cable you can try? Also try adjusting the input level and delay. 

Hi mate. Yes I used to work in this field many moons ago and understand it's normally down to that. I suppose all I can do is maybe swap the new cable. I used to always make my own and been lazy and bought one this time. The preamp and turntable should not of developed a problem within the space of a week :D

Thanks. I'll let you know how I get on. I just thought am I missing something with the speaker maybe?

Check that the cable is fully inserted, often folks stop at the first click instead of pushing the connector flush with the socket.

If the cable is all the way in and good you could try flipping the power connector of the (Play 5 or is it a Five) over and reinserting it to see if it is a power line noise issue.

Who told you your Connect Amp was too old? As far as I can see they are still supported, or did you mean the one you have is to old to run S2?

Yeah I now have a mix of older and newer speakers and in the S2 app all my speakers make the cut and the Connect:Amp doesn’t annoyingly, I bought that to run some old Bose powered speakers I had and the turntable, annoying