Skip to main content

I changed my router & wifi this summer & haven’t been able to get my speaker to connect since then.  I did a factory reset.  I heard chimes, unpugged, replugged.  Still Sonos couldn’t find the device.  I deleted & reinstalled the sonos app on my iphone 8.  I did another factory reset.  I’ve watch youtube vides, read lots of other people’s complaints about the same… The system on the sonos app is grayed out….

Here’s the real problem.  I’m 67 years old.  There’s not a lot of time left on my clock & spending 2 hours today trying to solve the problem like a grown up is just wasted time I don’t have.  I have an ORBI router & a netgear 5 port switch because the ORBI doesn’t have room for extra ethernet cables.  I’m not an IT person but I’m not fully demented yet but stuff like this doesn’t help.  Can anyone help this old lady out with some simple instructions?

It’s challenging to know what state your speakers are now in, since you’ve attempted a factory reset. And compounded slightly by my unfamiliarity with the specifics of the symfonisk speakers. Do they have an Ethernet jack on them?

In general, if you connect the speaker directly to your router with an Ethernet cable, things become easier, as you no longer need to worry about WiFi channels (or less so, at least) or types of channels being sent by your router.

What I would try is connecting one of the two speakers to your router with an Ethernet cable, then open the controller on whatever device you’re running it on. If the speaker does not already show up, go to settings on the controller, and then ‘add a device’. That should get one connected, and potentially create an appropriate network so you can connect the second one, but don’t yet remove that Ethernet cable. 

Since you’ve reset them both, at least I think you have, you may need to ‘add a device’ to get the second one to connect. 

Try that, and let us know where you end up, and we can take you the next step once both speakers are showing up. Feel free to move the speakers if needed, so they can be temporarily close enough to the router while doing this work. Once we get them reconnected, we can just move the, back to where you really want them. 

Even with ethernet cable, Sonos doesn’t find the speaker. The speaker, my phone, router & WiFi are less than a foot apart. 
I am assuming the “controller” is the Sonos app on my iPhone 8. I deleted and reinstalled the app because some sections, “system”, are grayed out and useless so I thought there was something wrong with the application.

Nothing wrong there, the app is just a remote control to the real program that is running on each speaker. If it can’t reach either speaker, it won’t be able to give you the option. 

Distance between the devices is insignificant at this stage, an Ethernet cable is the important part .

On the off hand chance one of the speakers is ‘broken’, have you tried wiring the other speaker, and adding it?

Hmm. Let’s go at this a different way, since you say you’re using an Orbi. 

What WiFi signal does your iPhone connect to? Can you unplug any Orbi repeater puck, and leave just the ‘root’ Orbi device connected?

Can you tell us what Netgear model is connected to the Orbi, and is it connected to the ‘base’ Orbi, or an extension Orbi?

Net gear router is connected to cable

orbi internet connected to router lan 1

Orbi Ethernet connected to net gear wifi 

net gear WiFi connected to sonos speaker 

nothing else is connected. 
I only have one speaker

its flashing green & making speaker noise

sonos cant find it  

Is the Netgear router also a WiFi device? If so, I’d recommend turning it off, since you're instead using the Orbi system. You don’t want your controller connecting to the Netgear, and your Sonia connecting to the Orbi, since they would be two different subnets. 

I’m not sure I understand the difference between an ‘Orbi internet’ and an ‘Orbi ethernet’

I am hazarding a guess that you have two separate networks running here, and the two devices, your phone and your speakers, are both connected to a separate ‘network’. 

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it? That would probably be a much quicker method of dealing with this than trading  posts on a forum, and they would, given your permission, have the ability to use Remote Desktop to look more closely at your setup.

I called Sonos support and had an amazing experience. I was connected to a support person who knew exactly what to do, did not read through a script, and walked me through my problem.  I have not had an experience with technical support that was so positive and left me so happy for years.

Delighted to hear it. As much as we like to assist here in these forums, sometimes voice conversation is a quicker, and more effective solution.