Skip to main content

I am considering buying the Sonance - MAG6.1 - Mag Series 6.1-Ch. Landscape Outdoor Speaker System Powered by Sonos®️ currently on sale at Best Buy. My existing home theater system consists of a Denon 1600AVR with in-ceiling speakers and a couple of Denon Home speakers in various rooms that I can control and stream through using HEOS. Would the landscape system above and my existing system be compatible such that I can stream the same thing inside and out? If so, how would I go about doing that?

No. Denon, despite the fact they are paying Sonos a licensing fee, after losing the lawsuit, is not compatible with Sonos. 

Even if the amp is wired to zone 2 on the receiver? 

Ah, you’re saying you’re not wanting to send the signal via WiFi, but instead using normal line ins? Then yes, the line in on a Sonos Port would get the line out from your Denon into the Sonos ecosystem. The Sonos Amp would power unpowered speakers, if you needed that. You can send the line in from a Port can be sent to any Sonos device. 

You might notice a delay in the HEOS connected speakers, also in the ones wired the the Denon if you have the audio signal processing functions engaged. For the main unit selecting pure/direct will usually remove the delay.

All Sonos analog line ins incur a 75ms minimum delay, so that the signal they receive can be played in sync across all other Sonos ‘rooms’ that may be connected. @Stanley_4 ‘s warning is a valid one. 

So I would need a port then which is what I’m getting at. This package comes with an amp as a default. The port would be separate. I’m assuming the Denon can’t talk directly to the amp without a port which is intended to talk to an AVR. The speakers either would connect to are passive. 

Passive speakers require an Amp to drive them. Can be a Sonos Amp, or some other Amp.

The Sonos Port has the line in (and line out), as does the Sonos Five (line in only), the Sonos Move 2 or Roam (via Bluetooth), or the Era series of speakers (again, line in only). As previously stated, once the line in is in the Sonos ecosystem, you can send it to any Sonos ‘room/device’, with that 75 Ms delay in it. 

Ok. So I got everything hooked up. Set the delay to the minimum setting. The amp and the receiver are talking using the line in on the amp and I’m happy with the sound quality. Only issue is the volume. With the amp at the highest setting for line in volume the relative volume from the speakers wired to the amp matches that of the speakers wired to the receiver. However, when I transition from the receiver as my input to streaming directly through the amp the volume is no longer relative, it’s absolute and at max. Is there a way to regulate the volume such that I don’t have to crank it up all the way when using the line in? Reading some forums it seems that for turntables a pre-amp does the trick. Would that concept work for the receiver? 

Never mind. Had to adjust my zone 2 receiver setting from variable to fixed. I’m good to go. Thanks for all of your help!