Skip to main content

Hi,

I’m writing this for my father who have problems with his Sonos system. The problem have been present for a while, and we've tried several things. We have also contacted Sonos support and tried what they suggested - but the problem is still there.

The system right now

Bedroom

A stereo pair of Play:1. Wirelessly connected.

Living Room

Sonos Beam (connected with ethernet to the router)
Sonos Sub (wirelessly connected)
Surround speakers - two Play:1 (also wireless).

The issue

The problem is usually that speakers disappear from the app. As of right now, the speakers that disappear are the stereo pair in the bedroom. A restart of the speakers in the bedroom (unplugging them) makes them appear in the app again. The bedroom speakers did never disappear when he used a wireless setup.

Other versions of the problem

Wireless setup

When the system was using a Wireless setup (with the routers WiFi) the surround speakers usually was the ones that disappeared from the app. The bedroom speakers, the Beam or the Sub did not disappear with this setup.

Wired setup

For a time, the Sub was connected with ethernet to the router. The surround speakers were the ones that disappeared from the app several times. The bedroom speakers and the Beam did not disappear with this setup.

The app

A few times it is not possible to add songs to the queue through the Sonos app. 

What we've tried 

• Two routers. First a Asus RT-N66U and now a RT-AX58U.
  • Resetting the routers and setting them up again. 
  • Restarting the routers.
  • Using a wireless setup with both routers (both on 2,4GHz with 20MHz).
  • Using a wired setup/SonosNet with the Sub connected to ethernet.
  • Using a wired setup/SonosNet with the Beam connected to ethernet.
  • Updating both the routers and the Sonos system.

My guess

By listening and trying some things myself, my guess it that there is something with the Beam that makes it drop speakers. This is since the surround speakers were the ones that disappeared earlier and now when the Beam is connected with ethernet, other speakers disappear. This is an uneducated guess though. 

The problem shouldn't be the router either, since it’s now a SonosNet-system (or what to call it) and we have tried with two different models. And when the wireless setup was used, it was only the surround speakers that disappeared, and if I understand it correctly they are connected to the Beam in a surround setup and not to the router directly.

Diagnostics

With everything working as it should: 1663024936
With the bedroom speakers disappeared: 2016814365

What now?

It feels like we have tried most things, what can do more to make it work flawlessly? Should we make a warranty claim for the Beam or any other speaker? ❤️

Sonos devices can be a bit fussy about network conditions, especially duplicate ip addresses. Try unplugging all Sonos devices, and then reboot your router. When router is fully restarted, power up your speakers, one at a time. This will force the router to allocate fresh ip addresses, and should get everything up and running. If so, you might want to set reserved ip addresses for the speakers to prevent it happening again. 

@nik9669a Sadly, that did not help. Even with static IP-address for all network devices they disappeared. 😒

Some Asus RT routers can cause problems for Sonos. Check that Airtime Fairness is disabled: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3668?language=en_US

Also, reducing wireless interference might help: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286?language=en_US

@ClausN Airtime Fairness shouldn't really matter when it’s using SonosNet? Since the routers wireless settings shouldn't have any effect on it? Also, when using a wireless setup - it was the surround speakers that disappeared - and aren’t they connected though SonosNet to the Beam directly in a surround setup?

We have tried to changed the SonosNet-channel. Did not help. The router is placed fairly close to the surround system. It can not be moved, but we’ve now turned off the 2,4GHz on the router instead to see if that improves anything. What makes me not think that interference from the router is the case, is that the surround speakers was the issue with a wireless setup - but now it’s the bedroom-speakers. 

Hi again! 

Still having problems. The bedroom speakers still disappears after a while. 

What we've tried since the original post

• Turned off 2,4GHz on the router so it doesn't interfere with the SonosNet.
  • Turned off both 2,4GHz and 5GHz on the router, so it’s only a wired router.
  • Set static IPs for the speakers (and removed them as well).
  • Changed channel on the SonosNet. Tried all three channels.

What solves the problem temporarily (one is enough)

• Unplugging only the beam.
  • Unplugging only the bedroom speakers.

What more can we do? Or is one of the speakers broken or what can we make out of this? We'd really need a solution, since this is really annoying.. 😒