Answered

Speakers take about 30 seconds to all connect everytime I play or skip a song

• 23 October 2022
  • 2 replies

I have quite a few Sonos speakers now and I cannot seem to fix the delay issue.  I have very good internet speeds here but I went ahead and bought a boost hoping it would help.  It did not.  Anytime I play it takes forever for mall the speakers to start playing.  If I let it play it is fine, however, when I skip a song it has to connect over again.  I have spent way too many hours and had too much stress over something I have payed so much for.  Can anyone help me out?

1x Move

1x Five

1x Play: 5

1x Sub

1x Mini sub

2x One

2x Symphonisk bookshelf

3x Symphonisk picture frame

2x Symphonisk lamp

1x Roam

1x Boost

Diagnostic code:1520184070

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 October 2022, 12:08

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bnutzz82 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Firstly, if your Bedroom (R) speaker is ethernet-wired to the Boost, which is in turn wired to the network, then you may as well return/sell the Boost after re-activating the Wireless interface in Bedroom (R) as a wired speaker will perform the same job as a Boost. Whichever unit is wired should be wired to the main Google mesh node only (via a network switch is fine). 

Next, please switch the SonosNet channel to channel 1, wait for Living Room to report WM:0 in About my System, and then switch SonosNet back to channel 6 again. Check that all the non-portable units still report WM:0. Settings » System » Network » SonosNet Channel

I also recommend you go round all your Sonos devices and make sure that none are within 1m of other WiFi devices - especially mesh nodes - or devices that use the 2.4GHz frequency range (microwave ovens, baby monitors, smart energy meters, etc). See our Reduce wireless interference help page for more info. This is especially important for the wired unit as all other (non-portable) units communicate via the wired unit.

Most important, however, is your choice of room to be in charge of such a large group (13 rooms at the time of the diagnostic). When you group rooms, the currently selected room is made Group Co-ordinator, and it is in charge of distributing the stream around the system. Having a wireless unit perform this task will not be as reliable as having a wired unit performing it instead. Disband the group of rooms, select Bedroom, then group all the required rooms to it instead. We do, however, recommend that for every 5 rooms in a group, you have an extra room wired to ethernet, due to the limited bandwidth of 2.4GHz. Wired rooms should be distributed around the home. It may be easier to just reduce the size of the group somewhat.

If this doesn’t help, you could always try having no Sonos products wired to ethernet - as you have a mesh WiFi system, you should have sufficient coverage. The only step you need to take is to remove the cable. Simply reconnect the cable to revert, if needed. When on WiFi with a large group, the best you can do is to have a Group Co-ordinator be a room that has a good connection (not too far from the main node). Using WiFi opens up the possibility of using 5GHz, so there’s more bandwidth available for large groups.

I hope this helps.

I will absolutely try your suggestions…thank you so much for the response!