Speakers dropping out

• 19 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Just installed a Asus Aimesh Wi-Fi system based on 2x XT8 routers.

After that my Sonos speakers dissapears from time to time and playing music works a couper of second or minutes before stoppning.

Ive reserved IP addresses for all sonos speakers, but that did not solve it either.

Ive also factory reset a couper of speakers, but still the same.

All my other devices works flawless on Wi-Fi.

Any one else experiance this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User325544

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this. There are reports that Sonos devices experiencing association failures with Asus routers.

Let me share the following steps if will work for you.

1. Check that your Asus router is not blocking Sonos
    • Download the Asus app on your mobile device
    • Confirm the mobile device is connected to WiFi and launch the Asus router app.
    • Tap Devices.
    • Scroll to the blocked Sonos device and tap on it to open a new menu.
    • Disable Block Internet Access.
    • Test the Sonos app feature (connect, update, playback) that the customer has contacted us about.
      • Note: You may need to reboot the affected Sonos players.
    • If you're still having issues, you may proceed to the next step.
  2. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, wire one speaker to your router and test Sonos' performance. If there's no improvement, I recommend contacting our phone support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup including the make and model of each device.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Thanks!

Hi worked great! Set the channel for 2.4Ghz to 6(it was auto before on channel 10) and connected it to ethernet at the same time. 

ill try to disconnect ethernet tomorrow and see if it still works now that i`ve set the channel to manual.

I`ll report back.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @User325544, thanks for your response and for updating us. I’m glad that your Sonos is working again after changing the router channel. Please continue to monitor your Sonos system and feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Hi seems like it didnt solve the problem with changing the channel.

As soon as I unplugged the Ethernet cable it started dropping out again.

I think I keep one speaker plugged in for now and do some further troubleshooting later.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User325544,

Thanks for your response and for updating us. It looks like SonosNet (one speaker is wired to the router) is the best setup for your Sonos system. Use a wired setup if your home WiFi network is slow, unreliable, does not meet our system requirements, or does not reach all the rooms where you want Sonos. Please continue to monitor your Sonos speakers. I would also recommend contacting our phone support team with your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.