Skip to main content
Answered

Sound quality issues with Sonos Port

• 1 January 2022
  • 6 replies

My set up is the following: turntable connected to Sonos Port via line in; Port connected to preamp phono line in; preamp connected to stereo amplifier. Hearing a hissing and static noise while music is playing via line-in on S2 app. Volume level is fine. The sound quality is fine coming from the turntable through the preamp to the amplifier when  the Sonos port is disconnected. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi

What input are you using on the Amplifier in each of the connection arrangements you described. What is brand and model of the Amplifier?

It's connected wrongly. A phono preamp goes between the turntable and the Port's Line-In, assuming there's no preamp in the turntable itself. 

Also, if the stereo amplifier has a phono input you don’t  need the Port in-line with the turntable connections. The Port could be connected to any available input and output to send Sonos audio from your device to speakers connected to the amp and capture audio from a connected CD player to send audio to other Sonos speakers. 

It's connected wrongly. A phono preamp goes between the turntable and the Port's Line-In, assuming there's no preamp in the turntable itself. 

Thanks. The turntable does not have a preamp. I reconnected things based on your feedback. No more hissing or static sound coming from Sonos speakers. However, now there’s no sound coming from my non-Sonos speakers wired to my receiver. The Port line-out is connected to the receiver’s Tape input because the receiver does not have a phono input. 

The Port has to play it's own Line-In in order to feed the amp. Either select it manually or configure Autoplay. 

The Port has to play it's own Line-In in order to feed the amp. Either select it manually or configure Autoplay. 

Thanks! That solved the issue!