Answered

Sound distortion with turntable and Sonos Five

• 23 January 2021
  • 11 replies

I have a Sony turntable connected to a five speaker.  When playing the turntable through this speaker there seems to be a lot of echo and sound distortion.  I have attached a picture of my setup.  I do have another five in my system and when I stream through that one only sound is great.  I have switched them with one another to see if the speaker was the issue but it's not.  I have also placed the speaker connected to turntable on the floor, further away from turntable and sound is better. I'm wondering if the speaker just needs to be further away or should it work as pictured? 

icon

Best answer by Belly M 23 January 2021, 21:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge +20

Yes, you answered your own question, try and get the TT and Five as far away from each other.

Yes, you answered your own question, try and get the TT and Five as far away from each other.

Was hopeful there was another solution.  Really like the appearance of my setup.

Userlevel 7

Have you done Trueplay tuning on your Five? If you adjust the Source Level in the Sonos app, does that make a difference? You might also try putting the Five on the top shelf and the turntable on the second shelf. The Five on the second shelf is basically putting it in a box and could be contributing to the echo and distortion.

Have you done Trueplay tuning on your Five? If you adjust the Source Level in the Sonos app, does that make a difference? You might also try putting the Five on the top shelf and the turntable on the second shelf. The Five on the second shelf is basically putting it in a box and could be contributing to the echo and distortion.

Have played with the source level and still hear the echo/distortion.  I don't have an apple home so haven't done trueplay.  And was wondering if the "boxed" in could be causing.  I might remove the back panel tomorrow and see what happens as in my front room I have another five on a very similar shelf sized with an open back.  But it is looking like the distance between speaker and TT is causing the issue.  Bummer.

Userlevel 7

The vibration from the Five could also be effecting the stylus needle on the turntable. Maybe rubber isolation feet under your turntable could make a difference.

The vibration from the Five could also be effecting the stylus needle on the turntable. Maybe rubber isolation feet under your turntable could make a difference.

Really good idea, I'm definitely gonna look into that tomorrow.  So the proximity of the five and the turntable should not affect the sound?

Userlevel 7

I think it’s less about the proximity and more about the material your shelf is made from. If your shelf was made from solid wood or a more substantial material, I don’t think you would be experiencing the same distortion.

I think it’s less about the proximity and more about the material your shelf is made from. If your shelf was made from solid wood or a more substantial material, I don’t think you would be experiencing the same distortion.

Thanks, will definitely be trying a few things tomorrow.  Appreciate the thoughts.

Two things:

What happens when you stream music via this speaker - if the sound is not good, then it is not a TT related issue.

What happens to the sound quality when you are playing via the TT and lift up the speaker for a few second with both hands?

I don't have an apple home so haven't done trueplay.

Bummer.

Also: There may be a way to escape the last word above by borrowing an iPhone to do the tuning. It is just a 15 minutes job, and may allow you to retain placement the way you want it to be.

I don't have an apple home so haven't done trueplay.

Bummer.

Also: There may be a way to escape the last word above by borrowing an iPhone to do the tuning. It is just a 15 minutes job, and may allow you to retain placement the way you want it to be.

Will test out the lifting of the speaker tomorrow.  When I stream music the speaker works fine, so yeah, that basically tells me it's a TT issue.