Answered

SonosNet options: what device to use leave WiFi on?

• 1 December 2022
  • 5 replies

I’ve been trying to find the WiFi specs of Sonos products to little success.

Basically my question is this: Say I have a system with a Sonos Arc, Amp, and Port. I have the option to hardwire ONE of these devices to provide SonosNet to the other two. Which would provide the most reliable connection? (disregarding physical proximity). Which has the better antennas?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 1 December 2022, 19:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I wouldn’t worry too much about which one is connected.  Use the one that is most convenient.  But you should turn WiFi on for all 3 devices,   The setting is about turning the WiFi radio on, and you need all three to form the mesh sonosnet.

I usually “assume” that the newest device in production has the most rececnt hardware / antennas / electrical circuits inside. In this case, all of your devices are new / relatively released around the same time, so it probably doesn’t matter which one you connected as your wired device.

It’s not traditionally an issue anyway, until about 4 months ago, I’d been using a BOOST for my 20+ speakers without issue, it’s only a local neighbor’s wifi signal along with location of my network device which forced me to use my Arc instead. You might be overthinking this :)

Also, there’s no particular reason why you can’t wire more than one device, if you so desire. But I’d still not turn off any of the wifi on any of the devices, unless you’re receiving interference of some type, since SonosNet runs across that same path/antenna/circuitry. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about which one is connected.  Use the one that is most convenient.  But you should turn WiFi on for all 3 devices,   The setting is about turning the WiFi radio on, and you need all three to form the mesh sonosnet.

This is a theoretical setup - I work for an AV installer and we often install or service systems with a dozen Sonos devices or more in a dense RF environment. So I’m trying to make sure we’re using the best device to provide the SonosNet connection.

Userlevel 7

This is a theoretical setup - I work for an AV installer and we often install or service systems with a dozen Sonos devices or more in a dense RF environment. So I’m trying to make sure we’re using the best device to provide the SonosNet connection.

Once a system is installed, do you review the Network Matrix to see how the devices are communicating with each other using SonosNet?

Again, I’ve never really seen one product doing a better job then another when you’re using all new products.  If there are issues, it’s usually do to the location of the wired product.  You’d want to keep it some distance away from the router or other device.  It’s also common that the WiFi routers channel is too close to the one Sonos is using, and you can then change the channel in Sonos app settings.

I think my Arc is what I have connected, because it’s conveniently a few feet away from the router through a wall.  I may have a few others connected as well, it’s been a while since I set it up, and I tend to have a network switch in rooms with multiple devices.