Skip to main content

Sonos won't recognize LG OLED

• 4 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Hey guys,

This is absolutely driving me crazy. When I turn on my LG OLED (2020), connected with HDMI ARC to my Arc, I hear no sound when starting one of the built-in apps such as YouTube or Netflix. I have to turn on my cable TV set top box which is connected to HDMI 1, then all of sudden the Arc starts playing sound from the TV.

So basically every time I just want to watch Netflix or something, the Arc won’t respond and I have to turn on the STB first, wait til it’s booted, switch to HDMI1 until the Arc starts playing sound, and then switch back to Netflix or whatever.

I’ve tried every imaginable option; full factory reset of both devices, power cycle, recabling everything, running the setup through the Sonos app again, making sure AutoPlay in the Sonos app is on etc etc. I’m really lost here. Any tricks on how to fix this?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you please confirm how you have connected your home cinema components?

Thanks for replying!

I only have the Arc, which is connected with the supplied HDMI cable to the HDMI2 port of the LG, which is the ARC port. 

In the Tv audio settings, what audio output settings do you have?  Is HDMI CEC enabled.  Have you been through the TV Setup process in the Sonos app?

Thanks! In the output settings I can choose between internal speakers, HDMI ARC (which I have selected now), Bluetooth, optical and line out. 

Just a followup: it appears that my STP is “hijacking” the Arc in some weird way. When I unplug the STP from HDMI1, everything works perfect, i.e. the Arc responds perfectly to the native TV apps. When I connect the STP to HDMI1, the Arc only responds to the STP when switching to HDMI1 and the native apps don’t activate the Arc.

Would a HDMI CEC-killer connected to the STP on HDMI1 do any good?

Cheers!

What is an STP? If this device is indeed stealing ‘focus’ on the TV, then yes, the insertion of one of those CEC adapters on the HDMI cable would likely assist, if you’re unable to turn off CEC in the software settings on the STP. 

Sorry, I meant STB for set top box (cable tv). I’ll try the CEC killer and get back, unfortunately I can’t turn it of in the STB software. 

Heh. Glad to get the clarification, was trying to wrack my brain to come up with anything that might be STP….kept getting stuck on the oil additive that used to be associated mostly (in my mind) with the Indy 500.

I’m pretty sure Lindy is the manufacturer of that device. Hang on, let me open up Amazon. Yup, here is, Inserted it as a link, because it’s frighteningly long to put it as just a cut and paste. 

I’ve not used one of these myself, but it’s been recommended many times in the past, and no one has come back so far to suggest it doesn’t do what it’s advertised to do.