Sonos turns speakers on randomly and at high volume

• 16 December 2020
  • 9 replies

I use Sonos Amp for my out door patio and Spotify for my music. This is the 5th time that they have randomly turned on and at high volumes. Most of the time it seems to happen late at night. One time it was so loud that the cops came to my door! The song and play list that came on last night was a play list that a friend shared with me through Spotify.

It happened last night and I did run a diagnostic report. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Hi.  Are you using Spotify Connect to play, or has anyone else done so recently?  This sometimes turns out to be a ‘feature’ of Spotify Connect which allows the Spotify app to connect to a Spotify Connect enabled speaker after leaving the WiFi network.  The user then tries to play on their phone.  Nothing comes out that they can here because it is coming out of the Sonos speaker, possibly miles away.  So they whack up the volume….

Not saying that is definitely it, but the finger of suspicion points that way at the moment..

Further point - if you want that diagnostic looked at you have to contact Sonos with the confirmation number, or post the number here.

Dt1016,
Just to add to John’s post above, if you goto the ‘playing’ room in the Sonos App and look at its ‘Now Playing’ screen and slide open its queue, you should be able to see there if it is a Spotify ‘connect’ session that’s playing it’s audio - see attached screenshot.

You can either ‘end the Spotify session’ from that screen, or simply play audio to that Sonos room from another source-type to disconnect the session, which will prevent the issue. It’s often good practice to return the audio-out to the local device (mobile/tablet etc.) when finished playing to the speakers via the Spotify App.

Hi,

I really appreciate the responses. I did capture the diagnostic number the other night when the music came on. Here’s the number 1794364822

i also included a snapshot of the song that was playing that came on randomly which is below. I didn’t fully understand the Spotify “connect” potential issue that was mentioned above. Thanks again

Have any visitors to your home been playing to your Sonos using the Spotify app in the last few days?

Not in the last few days, but within the last two weeks. One of our friends who lives about a mile away has played through sonos on their Spotify app. Its the same person who shared their playlist with me. 

It might be worth asking that friend if he / she might have been trying to play that song  at that time 

Just had this happen. Upgraded all from Connect:Amp to new Amp. Only in one room, music randomly turns on at full blast! Happened twice today and scared the crap out of the family. I just unplugged it. All other Amps (5) are working as normal. 

Listening to SIrius...

Was the music in the random room from SiriusXM? Did you happen to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.