Question

Sonos truncates music tracks played from Plex

• 9 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Often when playing music from my Plex server, the last ~10 seconds of each music track are truncated, along with the first few seconds of the next. The music just stops abruptly, and there’s silence until the next song picks up mid-note. It doesn’t always happen. Sometimes the same tracks play back flawlessly.

The source is FLAC encoded audio tracks in a Plex music library.

The player is a Playbar + Sub + 2xPlay:1’s in a surround setup.

Other players, namely VLC, can play back the same tracks via DLNA just fine.

Turning on crossfade doesn’t help. It just crossfades the silence. Grouping with other speakers in the house doesn’t help, either.

Any clue what’s happening?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos isn't DLNA compliant. Might that be the reason?

Sonos isn't DLNA compliant. Might that be the reason?

That’s an excellent question. I don’t know if Sonos uses DLNA for talking to Plex, but Plex shows up in “Add Music Services” in the Sonos app with the description:

With Plex for Sonos you can now browse and play your entire Plex music collection on any Sonos device, right from the Sonos app.

So I assumed that it’s fully supported as a source for streaming music. Am I wrong?

If Plex doesn’t work well with Sonos, what are others doing with their (somewhat extensive) music libraries to make them compatible?