Sonos Tanking my Network

• 24 December 2020
  • 7 replies

I have 22 various Sonos speakers through my home.  I also have a 1 Gbps Internet high speed connection with a Asus AC-5300 high end router.

When all 22 speakeers are plugged in and operating my speedtest performance is about 150 mbps.  Today, I shut off 8 of the Sonos speakers.  I then did a speedtest and consistently got close to 500 mbps.  I again re-plugged in the Sonos speakers and performance dropped again to 150 mbps.

Can someone tell me why Sonos speakers are so chatty that they are killing my network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Do you have more than one connected via Ethernet cable.  If so, you either need to turn on STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) on any switches you are using, or disconnect the Ethernet connection on all but one Sonos device.

None are on ethernet, all are on wireless.

Should I have one on Ethernet?

None are on ethernet, all are on wireless.

Should I have one on Ethernet?

That could help.  It would put them on Sonosnet, and you could change the channel of Sonosnet so it does not overlap with your regular WiFi channel.  

Thanks, I will give that a try!

If you stick with the Sonos on WiFi, many ASUS routers need Airtime Fairness to be disabled for things to work correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos seems to have issues with a lot of the newer WiFi settings and trying to sort out what I needed to turn off or change to keep my other clients and Sonos happy was a pain.

Switching to Boost / Wired mode not only ended the frustrations, but by moving the Sonos traffic off my WiFi and onto a different channel I ended up with a lower channel utilization on both which helped both Sonos and my other clients.

Wiring one is enough, but I’ve wired all the easy to wire ones so the Sonos wireless (not WiFi but using the same channels) is used less and the unwired Sonos have more possible connection points back to my router. Even lower channel utilization on the SonosNet channel too.

If you stick with the Sonos on WiFi, many ASUS routers need Airtime Fairness to be disabled for things to work correctly.

I have done this already.  LOL.  My speakers wouldn’t connect without changing this setting.