Answered

Sonos System Not Found

• 8 March 2020
  • 8 replies

My 1st Generation system worked fine for 9 years then suddenly couldn't find my system components. Boot-up of the controller suddenly took 20 minutes. I use my Mac desktop for the controller. I hardwired the Bridge direct to the computer and the S5 Speaker, and still couldn't find the system. I hardwired the Router direct to the computer and speaker, still couldn't find the system. Reset controller and can't find sysytem. Checked Network, Firewall, Password and still can't find system. I understand that Sonos no longer supports these legacy components, but all components seem to function properly, and Company CEO says system lock-out won't happen. Anybody have any ideas of what else to check for?

icon

Best answer by georgiairishman 13 March 2020, 17:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Remove the BRIDGE and wire the PLAY:5 directly to the router. Leave the BRIDGE unplugged, it’s most likely failed. All of these devices are still supported by Sonos, there is no reason why you can’t contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

Thanks

I am having the same problem. I did nothing to my system, made no changes at all one day about a week ago the app just said there was no system found and I have not been able to add any of it back. when I try to add components it just says that it’s searching the network and gives me a message saying that there are no devices found. I am completely stumped. Absolutely nothing changed in my system. I have tried to swap out the zone I try to add components it just says that it’s searching the network and gives me a message saying that there are no devices found. I am completely stumped. Absolutely nothing changed in my system. I have tried to swap out the zone player that’s hardwired to the Ethernet to see if that would help and it won’t detect it no matter which player I use. Help!

What devices do you have in your system? For instance, the BRIDGE device is know to have a power supply that fails in maintaining a strong enough voltage/amperage to drive the device. Sonos has been saying for a long time that they should be replaced.

It would be useful to know more about your setup beyond the ‘it doesn’t work’. Tell us what devices you have, how they’re connected, any additional information you think might help would be useful for the community to suggest more specific solutions.

One thing I’d certainly try is a refresh of the Sonos network. Unplug all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in all Sonos devices.

If you’d rather deal directly with Sonos support, rather than this community, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

I’ve started communicating with Sonos Tech Support. They advised that my system isn’t communicating with the cloud, indicating that it’s not connected to my network. I haven’t found time to further troubleshoot, but I asked about changes Sonos may have made around the same time that my system stopped communicating. Their answer follows: ”Sonos does perform frequent system updates that go out automatically, so it is certainly possible an update on that date affected your system. I don't have an exact date, but a relatively recent update did impact which older controller devices (phones, tablets, computers) are able to control Sonos speakers”

Like Rebecca, I made no changes to my system, it just stopped communicating. I’ll report back to Tech Support and this community when I do further troubleshooting. Thanks

My wife advised me that I had time to work on this problem. Below is the process recommended by Sonos Tech Support:

Performing administrative functions has not been supported on PC or Mac controller software for several years, so to work to get your speakers back online, you will need to download the Sonos Controller app for either a current Android of iOS (Apple) phone or tablet.

Once you have the controller installed on one of those devices, you can plug your bridge back into your router and check to see if the LED (under plastic on top of the unit) goes to a solid white color. If it does, go into the Sonos app and choose "Connect to an existing system," to see if you can access your speakers.

You can also try this with the speakers themselves, leaving the Bridge removed from power and the router, but if you do that, and are able to restore your speakers, you will need to perform a wireless setup.

To do that, leave the speaker connected to your router, and open the Sonos Controller app on the iOS or Android device, then go to Settings > System > Network  and tap on the words "Wireless Setup." The Sonos app will guide you through the rest of the process. 

When that is complete, you should be able to disconnect the speaker from the Ethernet cable and it should once again work wirelessly. You should only need to do this with one of your speakers.

The last thing you will want to do once your system is back in operation is to download the latest version of the Sonos Controller app for your Mac. To download that, go to https://support.sonos.com and you will see a link just below the three black boxes near the top of the page.

I performed the following:

1. Downloaded the Sonos App onto my iPhone. Tried to connect to system. System not found.

2. White LED on Bridge did not illuminate continuously. Disconnected Bridge.

3. Hardwired one speaker direct to router.

4. Using iPhone app, connected to “New System” set-up. “Product not found”

5. Connected to “Existing System” using iPhone app. System found.

6. Signed-in to Sonos account.

7. Updated both speakers.

8. Set-up wireless connection. 

9. System now working with no Bridge, and no problems.

Wife just pulled into the garage.

Thanks for the interest and help.

I had a similar problem. Sonos was cutting out and updates kept failing. Eventually I got the “system not found”. Ended up being an easy fix. The Ethernet cable from my router to the bridge went bad. New cable, no issues. 

Just proof that for any particular symptom, there are many potential issues that need to be looked at.  Glad you were able to resolve yours so quickly and easily.