Skip to main content

Sonos Stereo Pair not Working with Mesh (Orbi)

• 9 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi all, I would truly appreciate if you can please help me with the following issue:

I just added a pair of One SL to my system to use them in Stereo mode in my office.

I cannot make them work appropriately, every time I try to Airplay play music from YouTube Music or from the Sonos App it either stays idle and doesn’t play anything, or only plays in one of the speakers but not the pair. I also have 2 Arcs with Subs in the living room and master and haven’t faced any issues with those.

After talking to Sonos support they mentioned the issue is because I have a Mesh Wifi System (Orbi RBS750 one router and 2 satellites) and the speakers are either connecting to different satellites and/or to the 5G channel which creates the error.

In my network map I do see that one of the SL is connected to 2.4G and the other to 5G and that is when one doesn't play. Additionally, if I disconnect the satellites in order to allow the SL’s pair to connect via Wi-Fi directly to the router it solves the issue. 

But as soon as I connect the satellites, the problem comes back. I do need the satellites to handle the rest of the traffic and I can’t believe that Sonos stereo pair wouldn’t work with a mesh system - which is the trending WiFi system.

Sonos suggested I hardwire the left SL to the router, but it is too far to hardwire to my office and that would be a major investment that I don’t want to do. I do have one of the Orbi satellites in my office, but Sonos said it wouldn’t work either if I hardwire it to a satellite - it has to be to the router in order to work. 

Have you found any other ways to make the Sonos Stereo Pair work with a Mesh system by adjusting the settings?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your guidance.

PS: There are articles related to installing the speakers with a mesh network, but that is not my issue. The speakers are appropriately installed, I just can’t play Stereo Pair continuously. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try to give your 5Ghz network a different name, so Sonos would not try to connect to is. Or you could wire a Sonos Boost to your router or the first mesh node and get Sonos of your wifi. 

hi @andreup in my humble opinion you have indicated where you may improve your wifi to solve the issue when you quoted: “In my network map I do see that one of the SL is connected to 2.4G and the other to 5G and that is when one doesn't play. Additionally, if I disconnect the satellites in order to allow the SL’s pair to connect via Wi-Fi directly to the router it solves the issue. ”

as suggested by @106rallye you could rename the 5Ghz to force the Sonos devices on the 2.4Ghz and this should be at no cost :wink:

hi @andreup in my humble opinion you have indicated where you may improve your wifi to solve the issue when you quoted: “In my network map I do see that one of the SL is connected to 2.4G and the other to 5G and that is when one doesn't play. Additionally, if I disconnect the satellites in order to allow the SL’s pair to connect via Wi-Fi directly to the router it solves the issue. ”

as suggested by @106rallye you could rename the 5Ghz to force the Sonos devices on the 2.4Ghz and this should be at no cost :wink:

Thanks for your suggestions, Orbi or most newer Mesh systems (used to have Google) don't allow to change the name. I'm sure there must be another way as mesh systems are becoming more popular. 

You could try to give your 5Ghz network a different name, so Sonos would not try to connect to is. Or you could wire a Sonos Boost to your router or the first mesh node and get Sonos of your wifi. 

Thanks for your answer. 

I asked Sonos support if I could wire one of the SLs to the satellite (mesh node) and they told me it wouldn't work, it had to be directly to the router. 

I have the ability to hardwire to the router one of the Arc's, I wonder if that would help and the SL’s would connect to the Arc instead of the satellites?

hi @andreup while I do not have an Arc but only Beams, I believe it would behave the same w.r.t. creating a SonosNet, so I would suggest to give it a try