Skip to main content

Sonos Roam automatically sets volume to 0 after few seconds

• 23 May 2022
  • 4 replies

I’ve had my Sonos Roam for a few months but haven’t played it much because when I try to use it via Bluetooth, my volume constantly changes from whatever volume I set it to 0 after a random amount of seconds. It could be 2 or 20, but always resets back to 0.

Any ideas?

Maybe something to do with the device the Roam is connecting/pairing with perhaps? Have you tried BT pairing it with another mobile device, if you have one to hand, or can borrow one from a friend to test. What device are you using at the moment?

I tried it over the weekend with both an iPhone and Android. It’s acting like it’s turning down the volume to listen to voice commands. I’m not sure if this is the case and I would hate a red herring. I turned off the mic to see if that was the cause and it’s still happening.

Have you tried turning auto trueplay tuning off in the device settings?  I’m just guessing, but perhaps there’s a hardware issue with trueplay that is causing the software to adjust volume to 0 for tuning purposes.  I would call Sonos support regardless though, as this is definitely not normal behavior.

@roneill10 

When you BT pair the Roam to a mobile, the volume controls of the mobile take precedence, could that be what is happening? I think in some cases the mobiles set a ‘startup’ volume so you don’t get blasted by any playing audio - could that be what you’re seeing? As a quick test, disconnect the mobile from its WiFi connection and BT pair/connect the Roam to your mobile and begin playing some music audio and adjust the mobile device volume to say 50-60% using its (the mobile) hardware buttons and see if the audio then drops back down after doing that.