Answered

Sonos port with receiver sounds is low

• 24 February 2024
  • 8 replies

I am trying to connect a Sonos Port to my existing Sonos system. I have the line out going to a Sony receiver and the line in coming from a turntable that does not have a preamp. The turntable sounds is low coming out of my Sonos speakers and I can’t adjust it from the app or the receiver? Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 24 February 2024, 15:25

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@beardedrexy 

You need a phono pre amp to connect the turntable to ports line in. 

Here is a good reference between Phono and Line levels. All Sonos line-ins are looking for line level data.

Thank you. So I don’t even need the receiver? Should I just use a preamp with the turntable or would I still need both a preamp and receiver? 

The receiver has a pre-amp built in, hence the ‘phono’ line in on it.

You could easily get rid of the receiver, and use a smaller, less expensive pre-amp if the only device you’re using is the turntable. If you’re also using something else from the receiver, then you want to connect the Sonos’ line in to a tape out, and the Sonos’ line out to a tape line in. 

Sorry for all my dumb questions. I also have 2 Sonos amps that are connected to a Sonos arc, sub, and ceiling speakers in different rooms. Can I connect my turntable, receiver,  and port to one of the Sonos amps or do I not even need the receiver it I use one of the amps? 

There’s no need to connect a Port to an Amp, they’re already part of the Sonos ‘system’ and their line in can be directed anywhere. What are you using the receiver for? If it’s just for the turntable, you could leave it, or spend the money to get a pre-amp for the turntable, and do away with the receiver. 

Each Amp has a single line in, but there is no reason that you can’t connect a switch that has multiple devices connected to it to that line in. In fact, that is exactly what your receiver is…multiple devices connect to the receiver, the receiver sends a signal to the Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@beardedrexy 

Sorry, but what exactly is your intention? Why did you connect the ports line out to the receiver? That imo would be the usecase if you want to get Sonos sources to listen on passive speakers connected to the receiver. 
If you don’t need that usecase or don’t use passive speakers with the receiver at all, all is said above. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Be aware that when the Amps are part of a surround set up ("room”ins Sonos terms) their analogue “in” is turned off.