Skip to main content

I have a Sonos port that I’m trying to connect with my turntable. My goal is to play the music on turntable on my two Sonos Five speakers wirelessly. Can this be done? I know I can connect one of the Sonos five directly to the turntable with RCA and 3.5mm cable, but my turntable is not near the Sonos five speaker. I’m not sure Sonos five can be access via the Sonos port wirelessly? If it can, then I can connect my turntable to the port and listen them on the five’s. Pls let me know. Thanks.

Group the 5 units as a stereo pair. When setting up the Port, use the Sonos app to set the line in on the Port to autoplay wirelessly to the stereo pair. You will need to supply the Port with a line level signal from the turntable via an external phono preamp, if the turntable does not have that built in.

Hi Kumar,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I’m going to connect the turntable to the port. That part is clear. But can i access the Five’s wirelessly without connecting at least 1 Sonos five to the turntable wired? 

As long as the turntable is connected to one Sonos you can select it to play on any of your Sonos.

One thing to be aware of is that line in can be often be a challenge to send wirelessly to another Sonos unit; if you see any effect of that as music stuttering, select compressed for the line in via the Sonos app. There is no audible quality lost in doing that.

So you really have to connect at least one cable directly to Sonos five speaker? I thought I could connect my turntable directly to the Sonos port, and then play the music on Sonos five wirelessly. I thought Sonos five speakers could be access wirelessly with the port.

You can. Once the line in is in the Sonos ecosystem, via either the Five or the Port, it can be sent to any Sonos device connected. 

So you really have to connect at least one cable directly to Sonos five speaker? I thought I could connect my turntable directly to the Sonos port, and then play the music on Sonos five wirelessly. I thought Sonos five speakers could be access wirelessly with the port.

Sonos systems are incredibly versatile. A device connected to a Port can be the “source” playing to a Five or a stereo-pair of Fives. Those speakers can also be “grouped” to play the same source, fully synchronised, to more sets of speakers in the system. You could have another device connected to the Five and use that as a source playing to a different room- even whilst the Five plays music from the device attached to the Port! So the only wires you need connected are the ones to connect to an external device; once into the Sonos environment, all is wireless.