Answered

Sonos Port interrupted with Spotify Connect in Unify Network

• 27 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I have the following setup and problems with my Sonos Port: If I play music through Spotify connect on the Sonos port, then the music keeps dropping every couple of minutes (what I mean is: the speaker is silent and the port disappears from the S2 app. After about 30-45 seconds the music continues). If I play music through Airplay 2, then its uninterrupted. On my Sonos One speakers the music is also uninterrupted, even if I play through Spotify connect.

Setup:

• Unify network APs
  • 1 Sonos One connected through Ethernet
  • 1 Sonos One connected through WiFi
  • 1 Sonos Port connected through WiFi
  • Music played through Spotify Connect

Debugging things that I have done so far: 

• All Sonos through WiFi vs. One Sonos through Ethernet to provoke the SonosNet
  • restarting all APs
  • Playing music through Airplay 2 and Spotify connect (The Port is only buggy when played through Spotify Connect, but not when I play through Airplay 2). 

Unfortunately for the setup in this home, I need to be able to play through Sonos connect - Airplay 2 does not work for everyone here.

Does anyone have an Idea how I can fix it, so that I can play through Spotify connect?

Thanks so much,

Best,

Nils

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 May 2023, 12:41

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nils31242343 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please try the following steps:

1. Log into the UniFi controller.

2. In the Settings tab, click WiFi

3. Click WiFi under the Settings page

4. Click on the network SSID. Note: if there are multiple SSIDs that the players and controllers connect to, the same will need to be done for each SSID. image.png
  5. Scroll down to Advanced Configuration and set it to Manual

6. Scroll down to Multicast Management and click on Show Options image.png
  7. Disable the following options by unchecking the Enable option:

1. Multicast and Broadcast Control (blocks all multicast and broadcast for non-listed devices).

2. Multicast Enhancement (converts multicast to unicast when possible).

3. Client Device Isolation (prevents wireless client on the same AP from communicating with each other).

4. Proxy ARP (converts broadcast to unicast when possible). image.png

8. Click on the Apply Changes button at the bottom of the page.

9. Once completed, allow up to a minute for the AP to provision (apply the settings) and restore online connection, then proceed to rebooting or regrouping the Sonos Players.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, 

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I currently dont have access to the Unify Network. Also, I don’t quite know why the problem only exists with the Sonos Port, even through all Sonos Speakers are connecting to the same AP. 

The problem also persists, no matter if its playing on its own, or is grouped with other speakers. 

As the sonos port also keeps appearing and disappearing in my sonos S2 app (while all other sonos speakers are online and reliable at all times), it seems more likely to me that its a “sonos port” problem.

Do you have any other ideas that are more “Sonos Port” related?

Thanks so much!

Best,

Nils 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nils31242343 

If only the Sonos Port is affected, then the issue is less likely to be down to the configuration of the UniFi system - unless, that is, the Port is utilising a different UniFi Access Point than the other speakers, in which case it could easily be the UniFi configuration. It’s also possible that the Port is experiencing more electromagnetic interference or multicast flooding than the other devices.

All this is guesswork, however, but more likely than an actual fault with the unit. So I can be more sure of what the problem is, please recreate the issue and then, once the Port returns from being missing in the appsubmit a support diagnostic, replying here with the given number at your convenience. Thanks.

Hi Corry,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. 

I changed my setup. Currently all devices are communicating directly to APs (no Ethernet, no SonosNet). This is the report ID: 1191600903

If you would like me to change the setup back to 1 wired device (aka: provoke SonosNet), let me know. 

Thanks for your help,
Best
Nils

Just to follow up on some more debugging i did: 

• i wired the Sonos Port to Ethernet → Problem unchanged
  • I set up the system to use the Wifi → problem unchanged
  • I set up the system to use SonosNet (as described abovve: One SonosOne wired to Ethernet; the rest through WiFi. “About my System” said that all devices were: “WM:0” → so they used SonosNet). → Problem unchanged

Let me know if you have more thoughts that I can try with the Sonos Port

(Sonos diagnostic number is on the way)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nils31242343 

Thanks for the diagnostics.

They indicate that the Port is indeed connecting to a different Access Point than the rest of the system, and that it is connecting to channel 1 on 2.4GHz (the others are using channel 36 on 5GHz). That there are 17 different broadcasts on channel 1 is a concern - I recommend you instruct your UniFi system to only use channels 6 or 11.

However, as your testing indicates that you experience this issue even when connected via ethernet, this may not be the issue. May I ask what you were wiring the Port to? If it was wired to the router, or to something wired to the router, that’s fine. If it was wired to a wireless Access Point that is using WiFi as a backhaul, however, that could be an issue, depending on the quality of the backhaul connection.

I do see a lot of errors regarding Spotify, but I’m not entirely sure which errors I’d be seeing if it were the UniFi system needing a reconfiguration, so my advice remains to take the steps laid out in my first reply.

I also see some reports of DNS resolution taking 5 or 10 seconds (it should be milliseconds) - I recommend configuring a different DNS server in your router’s DHCP options - 8.8.8.8 is Google’s DNS server, which is pretty reliable.

In summary, until you’ve taken the steps outlined in my first reply, I have to assume that’s where things are going wrong. 

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

thanks for your thorough feedback. Unfortunately as I don’t have access to the network configuration, I am not able to change the settings. However I created another diagnostics report, of the port being connected via Ethernet. 

This is the report number: 284539549

We also pinged the Sonos port during the entire time using the max terminal and it was reachable during the entire time. 

Do you have another idea why it fails to work with Spotify connect? 

thanks for your help,

best,

nils 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nils31242343 

This is the report number: 284539549

We also pinged the Sonos port during the entire time using the max terminal and it was reachable during the entire time. 

That diagnostic was apparently submitted at a time when the app was unable to communicate with your Sonos system, so there is no useful information contained within it.

Do you have another idea why it fails to work with Spotify connect? 

Not really. I recommend you speak to whomever does have access to the UniFi system settings and ask them to adjust the relevant settings for you.

Please note that when a device disappears from the app and then reappears, it was either rebooting (during which, it would have had a white, flashing light) or network issues prevented it from communicating with the app at that time. I suspect the latter, and without access to the settings of your network, I don’t think much can be done to address it.

Is there an improvement when you play Spotify from within the Sonos app? The methods by which the Sonos app and the Spotify app maintain the connection to your speakers is completely different, so you may well see different results.

I hope this helps.