Sonos port -HDMI connection as well as "Line-Out" connectors

Would be *great* to connect Port via HDMI to my home AV system - this would allow album art to be displayed on screen and could allow some basic music control if there was a remote also! (Port 3?)

Thanks!

11 replies

Interesting thought. They’d need to be able to switch their current reading of HDMI-ARC to standard HDMI. That could not only require a software change, but potentially new hardware (chipsets) as well. It would be an interesting addition to a Port Gen 3, I’m not convinced it would serve a bunch of people though (read: be a profitable thing for Sonos to include). 

I’ve long wanted to be able to control my Sonos from my Apple TV, though. Not quite the same thing. 

Nifty idea, though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I like the idea too, but think the cost win situation has to fit. Just to get that specific functionality without any other need of video output implementation might be too expensive. But you never know… interesting idea at all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This could be  a feature for the rumoured Sonos media player. The Port is quite expensive already, so maybe adding features to that would not be the best idea. I would even like a Port that does less than the current one: I use my Connect (predecessor to the Port) only to get the sound of my CD-player into the Sonos system and have no use for the feature that would get sound from the Sonos system into a non-Sonos amp.

Great responses - I love Sonos, and love my AV setup! I think that even an “app” for Apple TV or Firestick/Roku would be a good option - controlling the Sonos system from a TV screen and showing “now playing” artwork  (just like controlling/using  from the iPad/iPhone/computer currently)- If the “App” could also feed Sonos Audio to the AV system - a real bonus! I understand the monetization of this - perhaps requiring at least some Sonos gear be installed. Another idea -  a subscription model for the app to get $$$ back to Sonos? 

I’m sure (or hope) Sonos developers are listening to these forums!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Could you “cast” your App’s screen to your TV?

Yes- I think you can get at least the album art - however I think there will be no sound via the TV or AV system (since the current Sonos app does not seem to play any sound from the app directly….?)

I don’t see Sonos doing this with the Port,  Such a feature makes a lot more sense with Sonos device that’s designed for use with a home theatre.  Arc,Beam, and Amp can already a connect to the TV and will display the Sonos screen saver.  Sonos could display album art  about what’s currently playing with that connection that already exists. It would definitely happen on one of these products before a Port, because the HDMI port is already there and it would help to sell more Sonos speakers.

Adding the same feature to a Port would only make business sense after they feel they’ve saturated the sales benefit on the home theatre products.

That said, I could see a future product that is sort of a home theatre/audio ‘super’ hub that has HDMI-ARC, aux input, bluetooth input, and wifi capabilities to send audio to Sonos speakers.  Maybe Sonos throws in an HDMI output for those who would rather use their own AV system.  Such a device would likely cost around the same price as the current Port

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you want your album art on your TV nice and big, try my Xbox app , or Airplay from my iOS app to your TV - both apps have Full-screen modes designed for exactly this.

Phonos Universal on Xbox, full-screen mode

Thanks this helps.

is there a version of this app for fire tv?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks this helps.

is there a version of this app for fire tv?

Sorry, no, I just write apps for Windows devices and iOS.

Checking in because this is what the CI industry really needs, a Port with an HDMI and on-screen navigation